Chapter 27. Trapped

Mina

The humans who lived in the house seemed to be in a hurry about something as they made the ceiling shake and creak with their heavy walking. Occasionally some dust fell from the woodwork causing me to sneeze frequently. I wondered what could have kept them so busy. Humans seemed to always have somewhere to go, or something to do. 'Can we do these human things one day?', I asked him eagerly. 'Sure we can', he grinned. Playing cards, video games, watching movies... these were the things he had done with his friends that night when I stayed in the dollhouse. I didn't know exactly what those things meant, but they sounded like fun. We were so close and I liked that. I really did. It was hard not to think about him. I remembered the time I woke up lying on top of him. I was scared, not knowing what had happened so he told me that I had a nightmare. 'I thought you'd be safer if I held you close to me and it worked.' Then he smiled. Funny how I got carried away so easily by him. I guess I was just fooling myself. I sighed, saddening.

My body was dangerously weak and tired. The night before had been miserable to say the least. After all that chasing I was lucky to have only an injured arm. I took a long look at it. It looked ugly enough to be worth going there and looking for something that could be useful to clean it properly. Then the sound of footsteps started again. I just wanted to lay down in my bed and sleep for a whole day, but that would be for another time, for now I needed to find a way to get in there. To be honest I would rather just not have to deal with humans and their homes anymore, but things would never be easy for people our size anyway.

Despite that hole at the top I had no way to get there so I got up and walked further down there, trying to find another way in. On the way there, I passed some small plants that for some reason insisted on growing in that dark, creepy place. Some small insects were also sneaking between the stones, always watching me warily as I walked. Further ahead there were some bricks piled on top of each other forming a kind of staircase. It led directly to the top. I climbed the brick pile with some difficulty since I had to put all my strength into one arm, so a simple climb took me twice as long and a lot of effort. No surprise explorers are decreasing. After some time I finally got close enough to even touch the wide pieces of wood that formed their floor.

There was a small gap between one wood and another that would be enough for me to squeeze through, but too narrow for me to get through with my bag on my back. So I took it off and shoved it through the opening, pushing until it was on the other side. Then I lifted my hands, passing them into the opening, so I pulled myself up. The gap in the wood floor led to a hallway. It was strange, that feeling of sneaking into their house. I looked around and saw no one, but several huge boxes scattered all around the place. Some were closed, others were still open, most of them with something written. Donation. I frowned as I was looking at one of them, curious about the things that could be inside, that was when I heard voices coming my way. I quickly ran to hide behind one of them. Suddenly a heavy box was placed on the floor next to me with a loud bang, causing the ground to shake on impact.

"Okay," a male voice said in an exausthed tone. "this is the last one."

"Excellent." A woman answered with satisfaction.

"Are you sure you want to donate all these things? There's personal stuff here."

"I am. We don't need all that old stuff taking up space and gathering dust."

"Tell me it's not another digital influencer thing again, is it?"

"Well, minimalism is a trend."

"I'm not sure about it." He sounded uncertain. "The last time yo-"

Before he could finish, the woman kissed him for a long time, holding his head in her hands.

"What if we do something fun tonight, huh?" She sounded provocative. "You're being such a good boyfriend."