Chapter 9. Food

Mina

Neither of us knew exactly how to react to each other's presence. We were both tense with the situation. He was as still as I was. But he was immobile just out of pure curiosity while I was immobile out of fear. My heart was beating fast inside my chest, keeping me in a constant state of danger. After all, I had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. I could feel his gaze on me, waiting for anything. I tried not to look at him, stare at that massive face so close to me was too much. Why can't I stop shaking? Why can't I move? I wasn't like that. I wasn't a fragile, fearful little thing. I was brave, I knew it. I had survived many things in the forest before. I shouldn't be like this. Not now, not in front of a human.

I needed to be strong. I was here for a reason. I was here because they had taken Daisy first. They had hurt her. It was their fault. Then the giant boy moved back to sit down. That sudden movement startled me, I looked at him in response.

"I'm just sitting." He said in a soft, but still loud voice. "I won't move."

As much as the distance between us wasn't as great as I would like it to be, it was nice not having him on top of me. I didn't need to lift my face up to see him. I could look directly at the giant boy's eyes now.

"I guess it was rude of me to grab you like that, wasn't it?" 

Of course it was! It was terrifying! I thought to myself, however I didn't say anything.

"It was my bad. I won't do it again."

I wasn't sure if I could believe his words. However none of his giant hands were visible. He had put them down to keep me from seeing them after my breakdown. Being our size we always heard bad stories about the human tendency to grab, lift and squeeze small things. He had grabbed me off the ground when he saw me, confirming that theory. Maybe he's just trying to get me to let my guard down. That killing feeling of being wrapped around by giant fingers and being lifted was running through my mind. The only thing you can hear besides your captor's powerfully loud voice in your ears is that dreadful thought telling you they're going to hurt you. Somehow I could even still feel his skin on mine. So my belly started to ache with a sharp pain. Oh, great. I curled up squeezing it with my hands while it rumbled reminding me that I haven't eaten since morning.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. "I can get you some food."

He rummaged through the pockets of his shorts for something he didn't find and then picked up the bag from the floor. Just seeing that again gave me goosebumps. He reached inside, rummaging through the things and then pulled something out. It was a long brown thing, with something written on it that I couldn't read. But I could see the design of a peanut on that.

"A chocolate bar."

Then he moved forward making me flinch at the movement.

"I'll just give it to you." He showed me the thing. "If you're ok with that."

I wasn't about to let him get any close. He could just throw the thing on the bed. So I shook my head saying no.

"Will you at least let me open it for you? It's just that at your size this can be a little... complicated."

At your size? What did he mean by that? My size was never an issue. I could do anything I wanted. I just needed to eat, and I didn't need help with that. I shook my head no again. He sighed, lowering his eyes.

"Okay then."

He tossed the thing onto the bed carefully. I slipped from the pillow and walked over to the thing. I approached and touched it. It was smooth to the touch. I didn't understand how that could be food.