Chapter 20. Letters

Mina

I was on the other side of the dirt road when I looked back to see the house. There was nothing but an empty porch and a beautiful well-tended garden. Before leaving I remembered the first time we met. When he caught me I was afraid of what would happen to me, I really feared for my life. All I wanted was to find Daisy and run away so I could go back home as soon as possible. Then leisurely he made me feel safe around him, so I forgot about my fear. We became close to each other, closer than I could ever have imagined. I guess I just couldn't tell right from wrong anymore. Then I just closed my eyes to how dangerous it could be. I should never have let my guard down. I shook my head to get those thoughts out of my mind.

Around me there was only grass, bushes and immense trees wherever I looked. The sun still brightened the day, but it would set soon so I needed to move on. There were marks on the ground from that thing they called a car. They used cars to get to and from places so if I followed it maybe I would get to their town. Once there I would be able to find Daisy, wouldn't I? All I remembered was that vet's hallway and that park bench. I frowned thinking about that. Do I know where I am going? What if I get lost? What if I never find that park? I didn't really have a plan. What could I really do? If I could do anything at all. That was an ultra dangerous, stupid idea, but I wouldn't go back to him for help. I had to keep going. So I took a deep breath and started walking.

I walked for what seemed like endless hours. I looked behind to see that I couldn't spot the house anymore, however I knew I shouldn't be too far from it. Ten steps of mine were only one of theirs. I wasn't used to walking for such a long distance so my body ached from head to toe. My bag weighed on my back, my feet started to hurt in my boots, my throat and mouth were dry and my forehead was sweating. It would take me days to get anywhere, but I had to keep going. It was a surprise that that piece of sandwich Max had given me was still sustaining me. The more I walked the more I felt exhausted so I sat down on a heap of rocks on the side of the road. I kicked off my boots and set my swollen feet free, flexing my toes.

There was nothing around me but the forest. No houses, so no humans. I was probably safe from being found by one which was good, but how far was I from anything? The trees cast a good shadow on the ground so I tilted my head up to look up at them. I practically had to lie down to see the entire trunks so I did it. It wasn't nearly as comfortable as a bed, but I didn't care much at the time. At least I would get some rest. I crossed my legs looking up to the swaying green leaves and blue sky above me. They matched perfectly. I remembered how I just flew between them on my bird's back. How sweet it was to feel the wind ruffle my hair as we flew fast through the treetops. Even the soft feel of my fingers gripping the warm feathers. I missed that. I was something with her, but what now? What am I? For a long time I tried to find an answer for being so minuscule. I mean, why were we so small? Was there any purpose? But later I just gave up trying to understand. The truth is, there was no real reason. Things were as they were. Period. I sighed in frustration.

My feet were too sore to walk any distance. And even if I could I didn't know how much further I would have to walk to find a shelter to spend the night. So I grabbed my bag and took the diary out. Then I put it under my head like a pillow and opened the curious book in my hands. Most of us couldn't read or write. They were human skills our people lacked because it was never necessary for us. However my father had taught me how to do so which means he and I were the only ones who knew how to do it, not that it was very useful. But this Killian knew too. Who taught him? My dad or maybe someone else? The first time I read it I had it open to a random page. So now I would start from the beginning.

"Hi!
It's been a month since you went to the forest. I was sad about you leaving. Uncle told me you're on some kind of camping. I've always wanted to go camping! I told grandpa I wanted to go with you too, but he said you'd be back soon and that until you did we could communicate through these letters. It's a shame there aren't tiny phones. Maybe one day someone will invent them so we could call all day long! It sounds so fun, doesn't it? 
In two months I'll be going to attend my first class at a real human school with real human kids! Hm, I guess I should be excited but I'm so anxious. I mean, I still can't stay the same size for a long time, that's why I don't want to go but grandpa insists that I must. I'm still not sure about it to be honest. I asked him what if I lose control and get too big or too small in the middle of the class? I don't want them to be afraid of me, but grandpa keeps saying it'll be better for me to have a normal life so he makes me practice it every day. He wants me to perfect it. Ugh, he's so bossy at times... I just want to watch cartoons and read comics. That's what a normal human kid does.
You'll be here to accompany me on the first day of school, right?
Hugs, K."