Sixteen

"You went and saw Payakan again?" Zo whispers to her brother.

"Yes." Lo'ak admits.

"Dude they told you not to."

"Zo I know, but hes just what I've got right now." Zo rolls her eyes at that. He can be so dramatic.

"Everyone is going to kill you."

The two siblings sit on a branch that falls into the sand. They both string shells onto multiple different projects. Tuk sits a couple feet away, finding shells.

"I know." Zo shakes her head at her brother.

"Mom was going to kill you about Aonung." Zos head snaps up to Lo'ak. He smiles when she shows her agitation.

"Shut the hell up." This is the first time anyone has mentioned Aonung since two days ago when Zo first got in trouble.

Neither of them have even seen each other. Aonung isn't in trouble because he is a reef kid, and his parents don't know who he was with. 

Technically, Zo could go hang out with Aonung with her siblings, but there have been no opportunities for that. Her mother has been giving her chores like no tomorrow.

"Can't you tell me about you and loverboyyy?" Lo'ak teases.

"If you wanna tell me about lovergirl." Zo'ile snaps back.

Lo'ak stops teasing and stares at her. She raises her eyebrows showing that she knew better.

"Did you guys really fall asleep though?" Lo'ak asks, raising his eyebrows and puckering his lips, mocking her.

"Yes skxawng!" She shoves him and knocks a couple of shells off of the branch.

"Anything else, interesting happen?"

"Bro I guess our parents won't have to wait to find out about payakan for you to die because I'm gonna do it myself." Zo sets down her work quickly and puts Lo'ak into a headlock.

He drops his stuff as well and jump off of the branch, pulling her down to the sand. The two of them wrestle around laughing before Tuk comes up and jumps onto the both of them.

"Tuk." Zo complains while releasing her brother.

She giggles and gets off as well, jumping onto Zos back before she stands up.

Zo smiles at her even though she hates it and runs around the beach in front of them. She pauses looking out into the water where many people do their jobs and activities.

"Look look!" Tuk points to the water where someone jumps up on a skimwing. They are super skilled on it compared to some other people Zo and Tuk have seen. 

People with nets look to them and stare. Some amused and some confused.

Zo looks past them and see people on their ilus, who didn't even notice. One person did though.

Aonung sits out on his ilu, watching the siblings. Roxto is next to him, saying something.

Aonung wishes he could go to them, but doesn't in case there's a chance that Zo or his mom would see.

Neteyam told Aonung everything that happened earlier that day in the Sullys marui. And he told Neteyam to give Zo'ile a message.

Zo waves at him, and gives a smile. He gives a wave back, but then dives into the water. Roxto yells something and follows. Zo smiles at Roxto and then turns around back towards her brother. 

From the way she looked at him, Aonung knows Neteyam didn't give her the message back.

"Was that your boyfriend?" Lo'ak teases as Zo walks back to him. Tuk jumped off of her back to head towards their homes again.