Nine

Zo stares at Aonung in disbelief. He is really pushing his limits this time.

"So why are you starring then?" She asks. Why would he stare when they both know he should not.

Their hidden feelings only grow slowly, both of them causing denial. These meetings have to end.

He shrugs, nonchalantly. "I dont want to look at the shells, I see them every day." He excuses.

"You see me every day." Zo retorts with attitude.

"But the feeling I get when I see you is much different than one of a shell."

Zo'iles stomach turns. This cant be happening. The feeling is still strange to her. How many girls has he done this with?

For Aonung, he was going out on a limb. But it is an easy one. For some reason, the words just fall out of him.

Zo's eyes fall down to the sand once again, only to keep away from his peering eyes.

"I would hope so." Her voice is filled with the same attitude, but Aonung can sense the change in it. She has become fazed. "Shells are just little hard things in the sand. I am a person."

An awkward smile crosses her face as she tries to veer the conversation away from where it's headed.

"Shells are beautiful, not just hard things in the sand."

"I never said they weren't beautiful Aonung." Zo picks one out, setting it into her little pile.

Aonung finally looks down and digs through the ones she's picked out so far.

The girl scoots a little further away, so the pair who are filled with tension are no longer touching knees. It is a new shell ground. Every inch is covered in different ones.

"Are you okay Zo?" Aonung asks, sitting up and letting his hand push back a couple of strands of hair that escaped his bun.

Her eyes look up at him, confused. He can tell she is acting. Clearly nothing is okay.

Aonung laughs quietly with amusement.

"Mhm." She hums.

The light continues to be lost, growing dark quickly.

Aonung reaches out his hand, pretending to look for shells.

Then it brushes against hers. He pauses with his hand on hers, purposefully and waits for her to do something.

Zo'iles heart begins to beat faster than before even from the little touch. It holds a certain warmth in it. A little comes from him.

"Are you okay Zo?" Aonung asks once more, his voice teasing now. He can instantly tell that she is flustered.

"Aonung." She says firmly, pulling away and looking up. Her eyes are pleading.

His big cocky smile upsets her, but then makes her smile as well. He never fails to make her laugh.

"No. I am not okay, okay?" Zos voice is giddy and she suddenly feels like she could walk on air.

He laughs quietly at her under his breath.

Her hand slowly moves towards his once again. She has no idea why. It feels the most right in the moment.

Walking away could be a good option, but this feeling won't go away with her walking away.

Their hands finally touch, bringing back the feeling before. Their eyes keep hold on each other.

The eye contact is deep. Nothing like they've had before.