chapter 35

hand-to-hand combat.

daiyu only liked it on her good days.

and today was one of those, so everything was fine.

so there she stood, next to seonwoo, waiting for the trainers to announce the pairs for the following two hours.

"imagine if we get paired again."

a chuckle left her mouth at his words. "that would be great."

but they weren't.

seonwoo was going to work with this fire shifter from their year; ahn jiah, while daiyu... yeah.

"zhong chenle? isn't that the boy from your dating rumours?"

'i should have known. whenever life fucks me over, it fucks me over properly.'

"huh? kind off, i guess? but we don't even really know each other."

'or do we?'

seonwoo definitely wasn't buying it either, but decided not to insist.

"whatever you say. but bye for now, i'm in gym 4."

though the hug he gave her startled daiyu a little, she enjoyed it.

his embrace was warm and welcoming.

just overall, she had really been enjoying the boy's company. that new friendship sure was one of the better things to happen to her in the last few weeks.

as he went off to find his new training partner, daiyu searched the crowd for the chinese boy she knew all too well.

eventually, she met his eyes, who seemed to have been doing just the same as hers.

she hurried over to where he was standing, punching him straight in the shoulder.

"woman! do you have to be this violent all the time?!"

thought the question seemed to be serious, his tone was playful and friendly.

he slung his arm around her shoulder as they walked over to their assigned gym, putting her in something like a half-headlock, to ruffle her hair.

'there's his normal self. what a change in attitude.'

__________________________________

'dear god, what am i doing.'

chenle buried his face into his hands as he watched daiyu walk off with the guy.

'is that the dude from her physics class?'

he disliked him already.

not only did the way he interacted with daiyu make it clear that there were some different intentions behind them than what she might be picking up on, but chenle had also noticed the tall boy back in the boys' changing room.

two of his friends were with him, but chenle didn't know if a good person would talk with their friends like that.

aside from the fact that he didn't let them get to word, tall-dude constantly put one friend down and indirectly insulted him, basically forcing the other one to agree with him.

and all that in the span of little more than 5 minutes.

chenle didn't like someone like that around daiyu, but at the end of the day, he had absolutely no right to decided anything for her.

and he knew that, and told himself that, but he couldn't help approaching them.

a part of him had wished that at seeing him, daiyu would leave the guy hanging, and talk to him instead.