MY COSTAR ASKS FOR MY HAND IN MARRIAGE

Not a minute later Xin Hulei appears in his living room.

His sudden appearance startles Yao Shen who almost drops his phone.

"Who was that?" Yao Shen asks, jumping to his feet and walking towards Xin Hulei, standing still in the middle of his living room.

Xin Hulei smirks, just barely, and extends him an arm. "Let's find out."

Yao Shen lets himself be pulled against his chest, closing his eyes when Xin Hulei's familiar warm scent envelops him. He feels as if it's been an age since he last saw him.

When he next opens his eyes he's no longer in his cramped apartment, but instead in a moderately sized condo.

Xin Hulei's Beijing apartment is bigger than the one in Hengdian, as expected of a primary residence. While it's obvious from the twinkling nightview out of the large panoramic windows that it wasn't cheap, neither is it lavish or ostentatious.

Yao Shen looks around at the living room, and finds it in pretty much the same chaotic state as the one in Hengdian, resembling a travel bag explosion site.

"Are you allergic to cleaning up after yourself?" Yao Shen asks, following Xin Hulei as he moves towards one of the closed doors.

"I like mess," he admits with a shrug. "It makes the house feel less empty."

Yao Shen's smile slips. He doesn't know what state Modu was in when Xin Hulei last lived there, but it's likely that circumstances weren't good.

He can imagine that perhaps there wasn't a lot of space for everyone, and people had to live in cramped conditions. Even so, Xin Hulei must have been happy there, and he must have enjoyed always having someone around.

It makes more sense now, why he prefers small apartments.

Xin Hulei leads Yao Shen into a bedroom, with a few built-in closet doors, a large bed, and a desk overlooking a floor-to-ceiling window in a similar setup to his bedroom in Hengdian.

Jincan's terrarium is pushed up against the window to get as much sunlight as possible. On the bed, Heimao is sleeping curled up in a ball.

Neither of them seem to notice Yao Shen's presence.

Xin Hulei takes the laptop and walks right back out towards the living room.

He takes a seat on the sofa and opens the laptop across his thighs. A few taps later he turns the laptop towards Yao Shen so he can see the screen.

It shows the same video Xin Hulei sent him, and like it, it has no sound.

Heimao is clearly visible disappearing out of frame as a cat, and returning moments later as a human. He seems to have some conscience of human modesty because he's wearing a pair of underwear, most likely stolen from Xin Hulei.

The confident way he sits down at the desk speaks of an action performed multiple times before. Lending credibility to Yao Shen's theory that he is the one behind the 'Heimao' account.

However, nothing could explain the second figure that shows up moments later, also only wearing a pair of boxers. The video Xin Hulei sent Yao Shen cut off abruptly, but now, he can see how the second man had a shocking mop of golden hair.

Not unlike Jincan's golden spikes.

Yao Shen turns to Xin Hulei, his eyebrows halfway up his forehead. "Is that-?"

Xin Hulei nods. "I think so."

In the video, the two people pour over the laptop, and then seem to disagree with each other on something.