MY COSTAR IS INDULGENT

To add insult to injury, Xin Hulei starts laughing. A low rumbling laugh that starts deep in his chest.

Yao Shen frowns, then he scowls.

And then he punches Xin Hulei lightly on the shoulder. "What's so funny?"

It takes a few seconds of Xin Hulei's laughter to die down. "A few moments ago you weren't even sure you wanted to kiss, and now you're disappointed we're not going all the way?" He flicks the tip of Yao Shen's nose. "You really are a little menace."

"I make my mind up quickly," Yao Shen says, defensively. "All thanks to my superior reasoning abilities."

Xin Hulei nods, and wraps one arm around Yao Shen's waist, pulling him closer to himself on the bed. "That's called being horny."

Yao Shen glares at him. "You're a condescending prick, do you know that?"

Xin Hulei shrugs. "Then why do you want to have sex with me?"

Isn't that a great question. Mostly it's because Xin Hulei is hot, and the fact they don't really get along gives Yao Shen the impression the sex is probably going to be great.

At least his previous lukewarm relationships never made him feel like he was missing out on much for not having it, but now he's positively vibrating. All those years of abstinence taking their toll, at last.

Xin Hulei is still waiting for an answer, so Yao Shen just tells him. "I must have terrible taste in men."

He doesn't expect Xin Hulei's small smile. "We're nothing alike then, I have the best taste in men."

Yao Shen's own amusement vanishes. He doesn't fool himself that Xin Hulei is talking about him. He's probably reminiscing about Yan Shuyi and how great he is, and how much he misses him.

"Maybe we should just go to sleep," Yao Shen says, turning his back to Xin Hulei.

He knows he's probably being a little childish, but he would appreciate Xin Hulei not thinking about someone else while he's half naked in bed with him.

The dim lights in the room go dark, and then Yao Shen feels the thin comforter being pulled over their bodies.

"Good night," Xin Hulei says, spooning Yao Shen and dropping a gentle kiss on the exposed vertebra of his neck.

Yao Shen shivers in the gloom and doesn't say anything.

It takes him a long time to fall asleep.

Just before he does, he has the impression of hearing a soft voice whisper into his nape, "I hope it's only a coincidence, how much you resemble him."

---

The next day, Yao Shen wakes up alone in bed.

From the desk a tinny voice greets him. "Good morning, homewrecker."

Yao Shen ignores Jincan and sits up on the bed, stretching his arms above his head.

That half-heard whisper floats up to the forefront of his mind.

What could Xin Hulei have been implying?

Who does Yao Shen resemble?

Those insufferable Ghost Kings told him he reincarnated before. Could one of those times have been Yan Shuyi?

With a jolt, he jumps out of the bed, determined to find Xin Hulei.

He finds him in the kitchen, making congee for both of them in his underwear.

"Do you want leeks with yours?" he asks, raising a spatula in greeting.

"Do I look like, Yan Shuyi?" Yao Shen asks, his heart in his throat.