70 | then let it go blind

70; THEN LET IT GO BLIND
(season five, episode eight)

70; THEN LET IT GO BLIND(season five, episode eight)

HERSHEL GREENE WAS a good man, a truly good one. He searched for the light in every dark room and if there was one to be found, that man would sure as shit find it. He was the conscience of their people, the only one who would actually step in and declare when they were going too far. Without him... it felt a lot like they were descending into nothing but darkness. Freya could scarcely remember who she was when she first met Hershel. A stupid kid. A scared big sister- perhaps the only thing that hadn't changed.

Her father had killed Lamson, rightfully so but nonetheless, it complicated their plan. If they were killing Dawn's people, what was to stop her from doing the same to them? It was exactly why she hadn't killed Licari when presented with the opportunity to do so. He'd deserved death after trying to kill Daryl, but his death would've been a catalyst to an abundance of loss that none of them needed.

"How's the head?" Freya asked Sasha, peering wearily at the wound inflicted by Lamson before his death- the cause of his death, actually. He'd run off and Rick had chased him, ran him over and then shot him. "I got knocked out once and it sucked."

Sasha grimaced uncomfortably. "I'll live."

"You two alright?" Tyreese questioned, coming over to join them. Rick and Daryl were stood at the side having a hushed discussion and Noah was stood over Shepherd and Licari, making sure they didn't try anything. "This should be wrapped up soon and then we get back to church, get our people and head for Washington."

"Yeah, somehow I don't see it going that smoothly," Freya told him, folding her arms across her chest. "I mean, we definitely don't have a good track record when it comes to getting out of confrontation without loss."

Tyreese blew out a soft laugh. "No, not exactly but maybe things are starting to change."

"They're not," Sasha declared, and then she cocked her rifle, storming off to take watch at the window across the room.

"She'll come around," Freya assured Tyreese, offering the man a smile of consolation. "You did, and you didn't even get justice. Actually, maybe you did. The killer could've died when the prison fell."

"They didn't." Tyreese's strong demeanour slipped for all of a second, allowing Freya to glimpse the broken man beneath the surface. "But it's okay."

Freya arched her brows. "How can that be okay? If you don't wanna do it fine, tell me who do it- I'll get you justice."

"Everybody has reasons," Tyreese stated. "It's not always good reasons but nobody does anything for nothin'. You're young and you've seen stuff that no adults should ever and I know that makes you feel grown up. Hell, I look at Leo sometimes and I feel like there's no kid left but there is. It's still in you too. It's why you can't see-"