45 | I'm gonna zap off

45; I'M GONNA ZAP OFF
(pre season four, original chapter)

45; I'M GONNA ZAP OFF(pre season four, original chapter)

TIME WAS STRANGE. Six months had passed since the unification of the Prison and Woodbury, six and a half months had passed since the death of Freya's mother, seventeen months since Shane had died and they'd lost the farm. Freya had turned seventeen a few weeks earlier, at least according to Carl's new friend Patrick's calculations. She was less than a year away from being an adult now- well, physically anyway. She'd felt like one for around sixteen months. If she was seventeen now, it meant Carl would be sprouting up to a terrifying fourteen years old almost as old as she had been at the start of it all.

Things were dramatically different than they had been six months ago- most notably her father. Rick Grimes had put his gun down and embraced his new life as a single-parent farmer. Freya was glad to see her dad happy, but she wondered if he truly was. The realisation that two out of the three of his children had become killers in less than two weeks after his wife's death made him realise how much they still needed him. Being a father meant more to him than being a leader, so he stopped. A council was formed to fill his leadership role and they made decisions for the group now. It had all worked out in the end.

Knuckles rapped loudly on the door of her cell, pulling her from her thoughts. "Hey, your dad says little ass kicker needs changin' you better hop to it. She's made a whole room of people evacuate."

Freya chuckled softly. "That's my girl," she pushed her feet into her newly acquired 'farming boots' courtesy of her father's new lifestyle, "why can't he change her?"

"He's with the pigs," Daryl informed her. "I would've taken her but-"

"You're a butcher," Freya cut him off. "Carl's still not happy about you eating the last one."

Daryl grunted at her. "I ain't apologisin' for having some bacon."

Freya put on her best Carl impression, jabbing a finger into Daryl's chest. "Her name was Jessica."

Daryl turned his face away from her to hide his laugh. "Your dad raised some weird kids."

Freya gave him a small bow. "Weird, yes but also very loveable."

"Sure."

Freya pulled her jacket on, throwing some pocket fluff at Daryl. "Smell you later."

"Are you ten?"

"Five."

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

JUDITH WAS HOLDING her head up now, meaning she didn't have to be cradled all the time anymore. Aside from talking, that was the milestone Freya had been most excited for. She loved being able to carry Judith around on her hip, showing her around the place. Her hair was still super light but Freya's had been at that age too. Her hair hadn't fully darkened until she was seven. The older the youngest Grimes got the more she resembled her mother and it made Freya's heart swell every time she looked at her.