39 | cold feet

39; COLD FEET
(season three, episode twelve)

NEVER GET IN A CAR WITH MICHONNE, Freya made a mental note of that as she stood at the side of the road

NEVER GET IN A CAR WITH MICHONNE, Freya made a mental note of that as she stood at the side of the road. The first time she'd gotten in a car with the woman they'd lost Oscar and she'd had her hands fucked up and now the second time the samurai had gotten their car stuck deep in mud and surrounded by Walkers. Rick had made quick work of them, Freya's ears were still ringing from the constant gunfire. It felt like they might never stop.

Rick pulled out a flowery dress from an abandoned suitcase, holding it out to them. "Yeah, this'll work."

Freya smirked at him. "Looking for some new nightwear dad?"

Rick scoffed at her. "Very funny."

"She's got a point," Michonne agreed, reaching out to touch the soft fabric. "Suits you."

Rick turned to his son in the hopes of gaining some backup against the women. "And what do you think?"

Carl didn't smile. "I think we're stuck."

"Spoilsport." Freya rolled her eyes at him. "I was trying to lighten the mood."

Rick let out a soft sigh. "Alright, let's get this thing moving. Michonne?"

"Just tell me when," The samurai responded, hopping into the front of the car.

"Now, Freya, you can't touch this while your hands are still healing," Rick told her, crouching down next to the front tire with Carl. "But you can learn from it so, get down here."

"If I do, will you teach me how to drive?" Freya questioned, crouching down beside Carl.

"Maybe," Rick conceded. He held the flowery dress out. "Put something under the car like this with a little gravel and sticks, gives you traction."

Carl reluctantly seized a handful of dirt, sprinkling it atop the dress. "Wouldn't have to do it if she didn't get us stuck."

"It was an honest mistake," Rick reasoned, beckoning for them to join him on his move over to the next tire.

"Why'd you let her come?" Carl asked,
built-up frustration seeping through his words. "She took you to Woodbury and you said she just split on you and Oscar died and Freya got hurt and-"

"It wasn't that simple," Rick gently interrupted.

"And technically, I split on them too," Freya admitted, reaching out to give Carl's hat a firm tap. "You're right to be cautious, but not unfair. She's helped us too. She brought formula for Judith and she helped with Hershel."

"I asked her to come today," Rick revealed to Carl. "I didn't want to leave her at the prison if I wasn't there, not with Merle. That and we got common interests. For right now, we have the same problems. So, maybe we can work on them together."