68 | stressed and depressed

68; STRESSED AND DEPRESSED
(season five, episode five)

[TRIGGER WARNING
implied child abuse]

LEAVING THE CHURCH wasn't a sad affair for Devin, quite frankly she was grateful to be away from all the madness and despair that had ensued there

LEAVING THE CHURCH wasn't a sad affair for Devin, quite frankly she was grateful to be away from all the madness and despair that had ensued there. Cannibals didn't lurk around open roads- well, she hoped not. It was good to be travelling again, sat on a bus with people she actually liked and Eugene, Glenn, Maggie and Leo. Devin wasn't informed on why Leo had accompanied them, though she'd concluded it was down to Sasha's grief of Bob.

She sat beside Rosita, face pressed against the window watching the environment zoom past her eyes. Tara and Leo sat directly behind her and Eugene was sat on the row opposite with Glenn and Maggie. Abraham was driving, like always. After what had happened the last time he'd allowed Rosita to drive it seemed unlikely that he would ever permit it again.

Rosita was running her fingers through Abraham's hair, the most content she'd been in a long time. Devin liked it when they were getting on- well, not when they were well and truly getting on. She'd lost count of the number of times she'd heard them... do the dance with no pants, she'd heard that on television once it was certainly a nicer way to describe it. "It's getting a little messy for you."

"Gettin' ready for retirement," Abraham replied. "Relaxin' the grooming standards. Thinking about becoming a plumber or a sheepherder-"

"How do those two jobs even remotely correlate?" Devin interrupted, brows furrowing at him. "So you either wanna clean people's shit or chase animals around?"

"Sounds about right," Abe confirmed. "Do I sense judgement?"

"Yes," Devin admitted, flashing him a teasing grin through the rearview mirror. "A lot of it."

Abe shrugged with a chuckle. "Tough crowd."

"You ain't herdin' sheep now, Abraham. Eyes on the prize," Rosita told him.

"Damn right." Abe caught Rosita's eyes in the rearview mirror, grinning widely. "That's my girl."

A smitten smile formed on Rosita's lips, the one only Abraham could coax from her. Devin was both envious and revolted by it. She couldn't imagine being able to put that amount of herself into someone. Surely it was destined to end in tears, wasn't all love? Death was inescapable and it would come for them all. It was far better to have always been alone than to suddenly become alone after always having someone. Nothing could be broken twice.

Abe hummed in amusement. "Maybe I'll let you shave me down all over. Dolphin smooth."

Devin gagged, scrunching her face up in disgust. "You know I'm right here, don't you? Like, can you see me?"