11 | always within our sight

11; ALWAYS WITHIN OUR SIGHT
(season two, episode one)

"I WAS JUST thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon," Lori announced, smiling back at Freya through the rear view mirror

"I WAS JUST thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon," Lori announced, smiling back at Freya through the rear view mirror. "Do you remember it, baby? You were almost four, I think."

"It was three weeks before your fourth birthday," Rick clarified, chuckling to himself.

"I don't remember that." Carl pressed down on Freya's knee to lean forward.

There was scarcely any breathing space in the back of the moving vehicle. Sophia was perched on Carol's lap, her elbow nudging Freya's every so often and Carl had his legs parted unnecessarily far, meaning his knee slammed into his sister's every time the car rolled over a speed bump.

They'd cut back on the extra cars the day after they'd left the C.D.C, so now there really was no other option than to travel cramped well, actually, there was the RV but Andrea was hellbent on making everyone else's life a misery because she was bitter over Dale guilt tripping her into living and Shane. . .

Freya hadn't quite figured out what the hell was going on with him yet and until she did, she did not want to be stuck in close proximity to him. Her Mother's happiness level had soared since the separation for travel purposes and Freya couldn't help but assume that it was the lack of Shane elevating her joy.

"No, you wouldn't," Lori told him, turning back to meet his eyes with a faint smile. "You were just a baby."

"We didn't even make it there," Freya stated, pushing Carl back into his seat. "Because you kept throwing up everywhere."

Rick laughed softly. "I never knew a baby could throw up so much."

"Ick!" Carl exclaimed from next to Freya.

"Yeah, ick," Lori agreed. "But the doctor in Texas said you'd live, then we turned around and drove home."

Carl frowned a little. "That sucks."

"No, it was a good trip," Lori insisted, reaching over to grab Rick's hand.

Rick squeezed her hand gently. "The best."

Freya turned away from her lovesick parents, who knew near-death experiences could fix marital issues? Was this why couples went skydiving?

"Can we go see it?" Carl asked, once again leaning on Freya's knee. "The Grand Canyon? I'd like to."

"I would too," Sophia piped up. "Can we go?"

Rick glanced back at the sweet girl. "We'd never go without you and your Mom. That's a promise."

Since Carol's performance with the grenade had saved them all, Freya was almost certain that she was now Rick's fifth favourite person ever. He'd been the one to insist she and Sophia ride with them. His gratitude for the woman was insurmountable Freya's too.