44 | a better place than this

44; A BETTER PLACE THAN THIS
(season three, episode sixteen)

44; A BETTER PLACE THAN THIS(season three, episode sixteen)

"JUST TAKE IT EASY."

Leo paced up and down the small room he Tyreese and Sasha had been allocated. He'd been restless the entire night, so sleep had evaded him making him even more rattled. "I can't find Milton anywhere, Sasha. Anywhere."

"I don't understand why you want to," Sasha said, peering at Leo with genuine concern. "Do you wanna sit down? Try sleep again?"

"No, I wanna go find that Governor and-"

The door opened, revealing a solemn Tyreese. He bowed his head respectfully. "Ben's dead."

Leo froze on the spot. He wouldn't miss Ben one bit, but that didn't mean he wanted him dead. They'd spent four months together- survived together. That meant something, and now he was just gone? "What, how?"

Tyreese shrugged, closing the door over behind him. He lowered himself onto the springy mattress of his assigned bed. "I don't know the details. I went out there to look for Milton like you asked but I found Allen instead. He said someone from Rick's group killed him. A guy with a 'knife hand' he wasn't making sense."

Sasha furrowed her brows. "How did Rick's group even get to him?"

"There was a drop-off," Leo revealed, a heavy sigh following his words. "I didn't tell you 'cause I didn't want you guys involved but I guess you are anyway. Milton told me the Governor was gonna use those Walkers on the people and that he was gonna take a woman from the group and put her in a torture room. That's why Andrea left. I burned those Walkers with Milton and he told me the Governor would kill him if he found out."

"This place isn't safe," Sasha stated, looking from her brother to Leo. "We should get out. We've survived out there before."

Tyreese shook his head. "There are good people here. Children, old... I can't help but feel responsible for them. We can't just leave 'em."

"We've already got one kid, Ty," Sasha replied, frowning as she spoke. "He needs our undivided protection. We can't take them with us and we can't stay."

Tyreese clasped his hands together. "Maybe we can."

Leo's eyes darted over to the man. "What are you talking about?"

"They're going out to war," Tyreese said, glancing at the curtain-covered window. "We refuse to go. We stay here and protect the vulnerable. Maybe he doesn't make it back."

"Milton said the same," Leo informed Tyreese. "And now he's missing."

Tyreese's jaw clenched. "I am not leaving these people behind."