Chapter Nineteen

"Hey," Otis smiled as I entered the building, carrying a large box in my arms. "Whoa, let me get that." Otis took the box from me and carried it to the dining table, setting it down with a loud thud.

"Thanks," I smiled.

"What's in this, bricks?"

"Yes, because I couldn't leave home without my brick collection," I smirked. "It's that surprise I told everyone about."

"What is it?"

"It's a surprise, duh." I walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. "I'll never get used to this midwestern weather. Hot or cold, make up your mind."

"Yeah, it sucks, but hey, at least we don't get the crazy snow New York gets."

"Eh, it's about the same," I chuckled.

"Really? Huh," Otis said, completely surprised. "How was Herrmann's?"

"Oh, it was fantastic."

"What happened?"

"You don't know?"

"He's not here yet."

"Oh," I laughed. "I'm sure you'll all hear about it soon enough."

"Oh god, what did you do?"

"I did absolutely nothing, I was totally polite. Scout's honor."

"You were a scout?"

"Okay, fine, firefighter's honor." I smiled, earning a small grin from Otis. "Where is everyone?"

"Locker room getting changed, as should you be. You know how Boden gets when we're late to roll call."

"Fine, but I gotta hide my box. I trust you not to peek, but there's no way in hell I'll trust Cruz."

"Good call," Otis shook his head in amusement. "Hide it under the sink, he never looks there." I carefully lifted the box and carried it to the kitchen, hiding it under the sink. Otis and I entered the locker room and everyone quickly stopped talking.

"That's not awkward at all," Otis muttered to me.

"Hey, guys," I smiled and gently waved. "What's up?"

"Nothing," everyone quickly responded.

"Okay, wanna try that again?" Everyone looked at each other before turning back towards me and Otis.

"Nothing," everyone said in unison. Slowly, I walked over to my locker and froze in front of it.

"Oh my God," Otis groaned. Plastered all over my locker door was photos of me and Otis asleep on the couch. His arms were wrapped around me as my head rested on his stomach. The locker room suddenly burst into a fit of laughter, but Otis and I remained silent.

"I couldn't resist," Cruz spoke between laughs. "I'm sorry."

"He wanted to do Otis' locker too, but I stopped him," Dawson informed.

"Don't you like it?" Capp asked. "I think it's adorable."

"What's not to like?" I smiled and took one of the photos down.

"Wait, what?" Cruz asked.

"I was thinking about getting pictures with everyone and printing them off. You just saved me about ten dollars. Thanks, Cruz."

"Oof, backfire," Severide smirked.

"Told you it was a bad idea," Mouch added. I unlocked my locker and stuck the photo on the inside of my door.