Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

It tickles my chin, and runs down my neck, stopping once it meets the neckline of my t-shirt. "I forgive you. It's ok. You did nothing wrong Luna. I love you so much. None of this has ever and will never be your fault." Her heart rate slowly decreases.

I sigh in relief, when it evens out, and I feel her slump against me, half on the bed, half on top of me. Knowing she's asleep, lets me finally relax. Resting my head against the pillow, I finally let the tears out.

The door cracks open after a quiet knock, making me jerk–which thankfully doesn't walk up my sleeping sister. My mom's eyes soften when she sees us, and then widen in alarm when she sees me, crying.

"Honey, what–" I shake my head, and swallow the lump in my throat. "I told her." I close my eyes, and breath out the air I was unconsciously holding in. "I told Luna." I say again, and open my eyes when my mom doesn't respond.

She's just staring at me with pure sympathy. Then the next thing I know she's at my side, and gripping my arm. "I'm so proud of you." She whispers, and I can't tell if it's for Luna's sake, or mine. Probably both.

"I'm proud of myself too, mom." She smiles at me, and I find myself smiling back. Really, smiling.

___

"What did you do!" This time, it's not me who's getting yelled at, but me who is the one yelling. "No, no no no." I grip the middle of Milo's t-shirt from the back and yank him away from the baking bowl.

He spins around quickly, looking at me with confusion and aggravation. His left hand holding a measuring cup filled with what he thinks is sugar. In his right hand he's holding the jug that we hold our salt in.

"That's salt." His eyebrows lift, and he swiftly looks down at the bottle he's holding that reads the word, salt, on the front. "Oh.." I nod, a stressful laugh flowing out of my mouth.

He clears his throat at the same time a light glow of pink fills his cheeks and the tips of his ears. "Oh my gosh, are you blushing?" His eyes narrow at me slightly, and his face gets redder.

He must feel it, because he turns back away quickly, and switches the salt out for the actual sugar. "Shut up." He mutters under his breath, and continues adding the ingredients to the cake recipe.

I adjust the strapping of my bikini top, and get back to adding all the wet ingredients together. Once we're both done, we have to add them together and bake it. I'm praying that it will turn out decent, because this isn't for us.

Luna is coming home today, after only being in the hospital for an additional day, and Milo and I wanted to make her a cake. Ya know, throw a little welcome back party. Obviously Milo and I are already in our bathing suits. As is everyone else who is already in the backyard.

There is a speaker that we have set up, playing music for us as we bake. I know I suck at it, Milo's...ok at it, but together maybe we can make each other slightly better at baking. I mean, we do work in a place that makes food like this.

"And they say I'm bad at this." I mutter, but keep it loud enough for Milo to hear. I glance over my shoulder, smirking, and watch as he turns sharply, ready to rebuttal until he sees my smiling face.

He falters, and a smile slowly pulls his lips upward. He shakes his head, and leans against the table, crossing his arms over his bare chest. "You do suck at it." I turn fully, and match his pose against the opposite counter.