Chapter Thirty One

——
'My past is an armor I cannot take off, no matter how many times you tell me the war is over.'
~ Jessica Katoff ~

Tree House
~~
Isabelle

The AC in the Lowe's I'm in right now is getting dangerously close to the temperature outside. I don't know if it's the windows, or maybe they really don't have any air conditioning, but I am sweating.

It's not helping either that my hair is down, which is causing the back of my neck to drip with sweat. I sigh, and grab another six by ten slowly to lay it on my cart. As soon as it's down, I see a guy walking towards me.

He smiles sweetly, and stops a couple feet away from me. "Hey there, do you need help with anything?" He's wearing a Lowe's shirt with a name tag, so I assume he's an employee here. "No, thank you though." I turn back around to grab another piece of wood, but he comes beside me and tries to grab it.

"Why don't I help you with this?" He takes it, and lays it on my cart. "No, I'm really ok." I smile at him, and wait for him to walk away, but he doesn't move. "Do you...need something?" He shakes his head and laughs softly.

"I can't help but notice your...size, so I just wanted to offer my help." My smile becomes strained. "Excuse me?" Is all I can think of saying. He laughs, like what I just said was funny, and goes to grab another plank. "How many do you need?" I finally frown, and cross my arms.

"I don't need your help. I would like it if you could leave me alone, please." I asked politely. Again, he laughs. "You really think you can lift these?" I grab it from his hands, and place it on my cart. Then two more, and start pushing my cart away.

Then, before I completely leave, I turn around and stare him down. "You shouldn't say stuff like that. It's very disrespectful. How would your boss feel about you disrespecting their customers?" His face pales slightly, and he soon scurry's away.

I smile to myself, proud, as I walk around the rest of the store and get everything I need.

Yesterday, I was outside when I noticed the old tree house a little further in the woods that my dad built for me and my friends when I was younger. It looked beat down, and the wood had turned rotten, which gave me the idea to start rebuilding it.

It's more or so for Luna and Leo, then whoever else they want, but I also want to see it again. It was the place where we conspired all our plans, and even had a few sleepovers. It brought me joy, so maybe it will do the same to her.

I pay for my things quickly, and walk back towards my dads truck where I load everything into the back. My mom insisted I took her buggy, to which I had to explain that the wood I was getting was not going to fit into her car.

Lottie and Violet are coming over as well to help. Actually, they're probably already at my house, waiting for me. I think Lottie said something about Henry coming over, which means Noah's coming over, which then also means that Milo will most likely be there.

I saw him yesterday at work, and it was surprisingly not so bad. It wasn't awkward, but we also didn't get to talk that much because we worked during the rush hour. He did give me a ride home though. I still don't know how to feel around him. It feels weird for me.

Maybe I just need to tell him how I feel, just to get it out of the way. Just to get the air cleared up. That doesn't sound so bad, right?