Chapter Thirty Two

——
'And sometimes I have kept my feelings to myself, because I could find no language to describe them in.'
~ Jane Auesten ~
——

Fireworks
~~
Isabelle

My mom made us tacos for dinner. Let's just say they were exactly what I needed to end a day of building in a tree. Of course I wasn't alone, but that only meant we all suffered together.

Everyone had left afterwards, which wasn't a surprise because we all looked like walking zombies with blistered fingers and ankles.

I had completely forgotten about going to the beach with Milo until he came knocking on my door 30 minutes later, only slightly after the sun had set.

I'm now seated in his car, the windows down, and waiting patiently as he drives us to the beach. My tiredness that was dragging me on my feet, now completely gone, replaced with adrenaline.

What could Milo have wanted to show me at the beach after the sun was down. We aren't going in the water. At least, I don't think we are. What else could it be?

Milo on the other hand, was looking antsy, like he was scared. Sort of like he did when he wanted me to like something he made for me. "Are you going to tell me what we're doing again?" I ask as he parks the car.

I squint into the darkness, and only see faint shadows of the water crashing against the sand. "Nope." He sighs, popping the 'p', and hoping out of the car. I follow suit, opening the door slowly and jumping out.

I round the car, just catching a glimpse of him shutting the back of the car, and walking off with a bag. His muscles are constricting as he carries the bag over to the beach, which makes me wonder what could be inside.

I jog lightly to catch up with him, and by the time I do, he's setting the bag down, and beginning to take out boxes. It's too dark for me to get a clear view of what it is, but it almost looks like...fireworks?

"What is that?" I whisper. He takes out about 3 boxes, and sets them in the sand. When he turns to me, he's fiddling with his hands, and looking everywhere but at me. Even through the dark I can see his ears ting pink.

"I told you I would make it up to you, so I bought fireworks, and instead of from your house, you can watch them from up close." He explains quickly, and a little quieter than normal. "Milo," I start.

Fireworks. That sounds like such a stupid thing to get emotional over, but he's doing this for me. Milo went out of his way to do this for me, because he felt bad. "This is," I pause again. I have so many feelings, and things I want to say with no time to say any of it.

"Thank you." I finish, and leave it at that. I assume that he can hear the emotion in his voice because he smiles slightly and nods his head. "It's the least I can do." Then he turns around and places the boxes a few feet away from us. I back up more, giving him room to light the firework.

He pulls out a lighter, and does so quickly, jogging back to where I am. I watch the quiet, soft yellow light dim and fall into the box. Then within seconds, light shoots out of the small space.

My eyes brighten when I finally hear the sound that it makes in the sky. I smile, and stare as more flow into the starry sky one after another. Green, Red, Pink light up, filling my heart with warmth.