Chapter One

——
'As a writer you try to listen to what others aren't saying...and write about the silence.'
~ N.R Hart ~
——

Family Reunion
~~
Isabelle

"Izzy!" I jump backwards a step and stumble over my feet, groaning as my luggage follows me towards the floor. My butt stings for a few seconds after the initial fall making my nose scrunch up towards my forehead in discomfort. "Oh my gosh I didn't mean to scare you." My mom laughs, extending her arm out to help me. After letting my butt recover, I take it.

She pulls me into a hug instantly. "How was your flight?" She mumbles against our hug. "Boring." I was sat in between a dad and a mom while they kept switching their baby back and forth over me. I decided not to be picky with my seating, speaking for the fact that I have no money and the last of it was on my flight. Even though my parents offered to pay for it, I would never let them do that.

Once we pull away from our hug, my mom's arm wraps around my shoulder as we begin our journey towards the exit door to the airport. To be honest I slept most of the flight and was only conscious the one time that their baby 'spit up' and I finally just switched seats with the dad.

I can be a projectile vomiter at times.

The minute we step out of the airport, the hot muggy Florida air hits me in the face, making me blink violently against the sun. At the same time though it gives me waves of nostalgia.

Sadly though, my shorts and sweatshirt are doing nothing to prevent sweat to drip down my skin instantly. "Right over here." I make a strangled noise when I see the same car that my parents apparently still own.

"No." I moan in pain. There's no way this thing still runs. This car doesn't even have air conditioning.

My mom laughs at what she thinks is me joking. This is not a joke. Abort mission. My brains screams for help don't register my body's movement because I'm still following my mom's arm towards her car. Her blue Volkswagen.

"How is this thing even still running?" I ask, actually curious of the answer. She stops mid movement, spinning around on the heels of her feet. Her eyes narrow when she sees my serious face. "This is my favorite car. You will not be mean to her." She pats the windshield with her palm, before circling the front and getting into the drivers seat. I laugh quietly to myself while filling my luggage into her tiny trunk.

To be honest this car is pretty cool. Over my dead body would I ever admit that to her.

I hop into the passenger seat beside her, the windows down, and she takes off towards the house.

I get nervous, like a jittery feeling bouncing in my stomach, fluttering through my toes and fingers. I let my head hang out the window as I feel the salty humid air against my hair, and smell the beach. This is definitely home.

Wow I'm home. I make a squealing sound, and don't even acknowledge my mom's confused look. I just can't get this stupid happy smile off my face. I feel the wind slow as we pull into our driveway, making me disappointed the ride is over, but thrilled that I'm at my home now.

"Isabelle!!" I'm bombarded by my dad as soon as I step foot outside of the car, knocking the wind out of me. I put my arms around his neck and squeeze the life out of him. "Gosh I missed you dad. FaceTime is just not the same." I groan, causing him to chuckle.