forty-one.

Kirishima stepped aside, watching as (Y/n) and Bakugo stepped into her room. She slid onto her rolling chair, throwing the letter she'd received from Midoriya onto her somewhat cluttered desk. She ran a hand through her hair, thoughts racing through her head as she tried to process everything. On top of that, she had no clue what it was Bakugo came in to talk to her about.

He held up his letter, letting it unfold to reveal the writing within. "You got one of these from Deku, too. Right?"

"I did." She nodded, gesturing with her head towards the paper on her desk. "He ran away to protect everyone here and told them all the truth about his Quirk. It's some pretty serious stuff."

Bakugo scoffed. "And everything else that's happened before wasn't?" He began to raise his voice at her.

"You know that's not what I meant."

"I know what you—" He cut himself off, letting out a sharp breath through his nose. He tried again, speaking softer as he said, "I know what you meant. It's just hard to ignore the other things that happened way before these letters were sent out."

"And I'm not ignoring these other events. I'm just not focusing on them right now."

"Maybe we should focus on them right now." Bakugo stepped over some of the items still strewn across her floor, kneeling to pick them up. He set them on her bed, sitting next to them. He placed his letter down, folding his hands as he leaned against his legs. "That damn Deku told you to take care of me, didn't he?"

"Yes, he did." (Y/n) couldn't help but chuckle. "Let me guess, he told you to take care of me as well?"

"No." Bakugo shook his head. "He told me to let you take care of me. To not resist what you think is best and to listen." He scoffed again. "As if I didn't listen before..."

(Y/n) felt herself unconsciously smile. "You didn't always. But when you did, it seemed to work out okay."

Bakugo paused for a moment, taking a bit longer to respond. He finally opened his mouth, no sound coming out for a moment. Finally, he asked, "Then where do we stand now? The two of us – our relationship."

(Y/n) was taken aback for a moment. She leaned back in her chair, furrowing her brows as she questioned, "What do you mean?"

"In the hospital, you asked if our relationship is even worth it in the long run. That what if it was just some teen love story that was bound to end." Bakugo's expression softened, a simple move that caused (Y/n)'s insides to stir furiously. "Do you mean that? Do you really think that our relationship may not be worth it in the end?"

(Y/n) didn't know how to respond at first. She knew that her words would wound him, she just didn't realize how deep she'd cut into him. She didn't even think it was possible for Bakugo to have any doubts in anything he did – let alone his love for her.

"I..." She sighed, throwing her head over the back of her chair. She stared at the ceiling, contemplating her answer. She chose her next few words carefully, "I take back what I said."

Bakugo furrowed his brows. "What?"

"I take back what I said," she repeated. "What we have isn't some teen love story. Especially since it's clear that we've cared for each other on a very deep level for a very long time now."

"Well you don't have to state the obvious—"

"And what we have isn't just something that's going to end once we graduate."

"It isn't?" For some reason, he looked genuinely surprised.

"No, it isn't. Let's be honest, there's not a lot of people in this world who know how to handle your outbursts—"

"Let's not get mean—"

"And not many people know that your favorite way to spend a night in is to watch a romantic comedy while eating mouth-melting spicy ramen. Besides, I don't know a whole lot of people who can even tolerate the smell of that bowl you just devour."

"You're the one who makes it—"

"And how many people can say that they know they are going to spend the rest of their lives with you? Regardless of all the crap you put out."

Bakugo stared at her for a moment. His posture straightened and he pressed his hands against his knees. She could see him digging his fingers into his kneecaps, threatening to tear through his pantleg.

"You really want to spend the rest of your life with me?"

"I've already started my life with you." (Y/n) shrugged as she continued, "I don't see a reason why I can't finish with you too."

Bakugo rose from the bed, slowly walking over to her. He held his hand out to her, prompting her to take it. He pulled her from her chair, pressing his other hand to the crook of her back. He spun her around, dipping her as he pressed his lips against hers.

She was surprised at first but quickly succumbed to his touch. She wrapped her arm over his shoulder and around his neck, pulling him closer. After a good few seconds, he pulled his face away from hers.

He pressed his forehead against hers, softly whispering, "I don't think you know how much I wanted to hear you say that."

She smirked. "Now I do."

Bakugo returned her smirk, slowly leaning in to press another kiss to (Y/n)'s lips.

BANG, BANG, BANG.

The two snapped their heads towards the door. They froze, neither uttering a word nor moving a muscle.

"Maybe if we do nothing, they'll go away," Bakugo muttered, barely even a whisper.

They waited for a few seconds, listening for whoever was behind the door. They both let out a relieved sigh when they didn't hear a second set of banging at the door.

Bakugo leaned towards (Y/n) again, his lips brushing against hers lightly. Just as he was about to kiss her again, a sing-song voice said from behind the door, "I know you're in there! I can see your shadows underneath the door."

"Seriously?" Bakugo grumbled.

(Y/n) pulled herself away from Bakugo, walking over to the door. She opened it to find a familiar grease stain-covered, pink-haired Support Gear student in front of her door.

"Hatsume? What are you doing here?"

Without saying anything, she grabbed (Y/n)'s left shoulder, pulling her forward. She held up her arm, using a tape measure over it as she wrapped around the bandaged end. She muttered the various numbers before stepping back.

"I have a surprise for you!" she finally exclaimed.

(Y/n) quirked a brow. Memories from the last few times she'd encountered Mai Hatsume flew in from her mind. Of course, Hatsume was a technological genius. However, that did not totally cancel out the crazy look in her eye.

"What kind of surprise?"

"Come into the lab tomorrow at seven in the morning! One of my precious babies needs you to be fully calibrated."

(Y/n) opened her mouth to question further, but Hatsume sped off before she could even utter a single syllable. She watched as Hatsume disappeared around the corner.

Bakugo stepped out, looking out the doorframe before turning back to (Y/n). "What the hell was that about?"

"We'll find out tomorrow morning."