Chapter 29

My ears were ringing from the gun shot. The light had gone out, making it invisible. Somebody had grabbed my legs and I produced a yell.

"Would you stop, it's me!" Rider hissed. He cut my legs free, in the dark. I was impressed.
There was yelling from everybody else. Kennedy was trying to find Rusty.

He grabbed my hands and cut them free. He pulled me up and led me out of the warehouse. My muscles were stiff from the sitting.

"What the hell just happened?" I demanded, getting on his motorcycle.

"Somebody shot Rusty," he said, pulling out of the parking lot.

"Is he dead?" I asked, the wind blowing my hair around.

"I'm not sure," he yelled back.

I had no idea where we were going until he turned onto a familiar path. We were going to Rider's shop.

When we pulled in, I came to my senses and got away from Rider. I didn't know his side of the story, but I couldn't be near him in case it was true.

"What's wrong?" He asked, stepping towards me.

I held my hands up and backed away. "Don't come near me. I heard things and I don't know if they are true."

"What things?" He asked confused.

"Kennedy said you didn't say goodbye to me because you were getting rid of me-that you wanted me dead," I said, on the verge of tears.

He ran his hand through his hair, "I never said that. Why, do you believe her?"

"I don't know what to believe," I said, now crying.

He ran over to me and pulled me into his embrace.

"I can't believe she told you that. Skylar, just the thought of you leaving or dying splits my heart in half. I never want a day without you, not a single second. You are my everything, the only thing keeping me sane. You make me the happiest I've ever been. Why don't you see that?" He asked, rubbing my back.

"I just don't know what love looks like, I guess. I've never been loved, and I've never loved. I just don't know," I cried.

"Come on, let's get inside," he said, taking me in.

********
I eventually pulled myself together. I was sitting on the hood of an old car. Rider was sitting next to me.

"How did you know someone was trying to shoot Rusty? How did you know it wasn't somebody else they were aiming for?" I asked.

Rider was quiet for a second. "Because I shot him."

I kind of saw that one coming. I shouldn't have been surprised.

"Where?" I whispered.

"The stomach, I think," he replied.

"Why?"

"I won the fight. But even before the fight, days before, I knew Rusty was going to take you. So I had the guys follow you and let me know where you were. Rusty was a problem for both of us. I just decided to get rid of him," he said, staring me in the eyes.

"We could have found a different way though," I argued.

"But he wouldn't have left us alone, don't you see that?" Rider said, standing up and walking away.

"Of course I see that, but there could have been a better way," I replied.

"I wouldn't have done it if I realized you would be so upset about it," Rider said, leaving the shop.

I couldn't say I was upset with Rider, because I wasn't. I was a little upset he went to the extremes but I didn't want to fight about it. I was mentally and physically spent. I followed him outside.

"Rider, I'm not mad. I'm just exhausted, I really am. And I feel great relief that Rusty shouldn't be a problem anymore. Thank you for protecting me, again," I said, hugging his back. I wrapped my arms around his stomach and laid my head against his back. The cool air made me shiver.

"That's all I ever wanted was to protect you. I want every day with you, every second. I want the smiles and frowns and the obstacles. I want to experience every life moment with you and only you," Rider preached, turning around to face me.

"You heart throb," I smiled.

"Skylar, can I ask you something?"

I nodded my head.

Rider pulled away from me and got down on one knee. My heart sped up. He pulled out a small black box.

"Skylar Peterson, I promise to protect you every minute of every day. I promise to love you even when you drive me crazy. I promise to make you as happy as I can, and I promise to provide a love - filled life. I promise to follow you everywhere, as long as you'll have me. Skylar, will you marry me?" He murmured, his voice clear as day.

"Of course! Of course I will, how could I ever say no?" I squeeled.

Rider slid the ring onto my finger, it was a perfect fit. He picked me up and spun me in a circle.

"I love you," I smiled against his lips.

"And I love you," he replied.