Chapter 15

Three days later I was in the comforts of my home. Rider stayed with me at the hospital the entire time. You could say we know each other really well.

I was able to walk - just really slow. There was still a lot of pain in my body. My shoulder was always heavy and aching.

"Rider, you should be in school," I urged again. It was Tuesday morning, Rider skipped yesterday.

"I can't. I have to take care of you," he argued, grabbing my medicine from the kitchen.

"I can handle going to the bathroom and taking my medicine. You already know I'm going back to school next week," I sighed.

"Skylar, you are going to lose this argument. I'm not leaving you alone because what if Ashley and Colin show up and I'm not here? Then I'm not living up to my promise," he said, smiling. He had me there.

I haven't seen or heard from Ashley and Colin since that day in the hospital, and I hoped I never had to again.

"You, Rider Lee, are a very frustrating person," I groaned.

He just shook his head. He handed me my pills and a bottle of water then joined me on the couch. We have been watching a lot of sappy love stories because Rider believes I need to see love again. He is just oblivious to how I act around him.

"I'm not watching another stupid love story," I said, standing my ground.

"Yes you are. Seeing these live stories will make you happy," he chided, pulling The Notebook out of the DVD player.

"Rider, put another love story in and I'll make sure you never have children," I threatened, glaring him down.

"Uggh, fine. What do you want to watch then?" He asked.

"Let's watch The Purge," I suggested.

He laughed. "You can't handle that."

I stared at him in shock. "Rider, why would I own the movie if I haven't seen it before?"

He stopped laughing then frowned. "Good point."

He put the movie in and then sat down right beside me. He threw his arm over my shoulder, pulling me in closer.

My medicine had many side affects, like easily losing focus. And stomach pains, sometimes even nausea. I was rarely hungry, but Rider usually shoved food down my throat.

While the movie was playing, my mind wandered. I started to think about Rusty. I knew he said he killed my dad, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. It took me years to understand that my dad was actually gone, but the fact that my ex boyfriend killed him gave me a new round of confusion.

I was mostly mad at myself for still loving Rusty. It still hurt that he left me and used me, and then went and made out with my best friend. I was slowly getting over it with Rider. But when Rider left the pain would make its way back.

"Rider?" I asked, looking up at him.

He looked down at me with those knee buckling eyes.

"Yes?"

"Promise me you'll never leave me," I said, tears pooling in my eyes.

"Of course I promise. What's got you like this?" He asked, his deep voice lacing with sympathy.

"I was just thinking how you're the only person I have left. Kennedy is gone, and I will never allow her back into my life. My mom hates me, my dad is gone, Rusty left, and I don't have any other friends. You are literally the only person who has stuck with me,"I cried.

He pulled me in close, wrapping me into his muscular arms. I instantly felt warmer and safe.

"I couldn't leave you even if I tried. You've changed my life in more ways than one and I don't want to live without you," he promised.

I smiled and wiped away my tears.

"Promise me one more thing?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"What?"

"You'll kiss me one day," I whispered.

He smiled at me.

"One day," he agreed, kissing my temple.