Chapter 8

All 4 of us had been working diligently but we were barely getting anywhere. Just finding the details was difficult.

"I've got to go, guys. Fight club," Rusty sighed.

I pouted. "All ready?"

"Yeah. But I'll see you tomorrow," Rusty said, giving me a kiss goodbye. I held onto him and breathed in his scent. He smelled of fresh air and soap.

"Well if my partner is leaving, I'm leaving," Stephanie complained.

"That's great. Have a nice day," I snapped at her.

She rolled her eyes at me and followed Rusty out the door.

I turned back to go into the living room but Rider was standing right behind me.

"Were you eavesdropping?" I demanded.

"No. I was just seeing what was taking you so long," he explained.

"I was saying goodbye to my boyfriend. Do you still want to work on this project or do you want to leave? It's up to you," I reckoned.

He shrugged his shoulders. "How about a break?"

"Sure. I can make us something to eat," I proclaimed.

We went into the kitchen and Rider sat at the island. I opened up the cupboard go grab some boxes of macaroni and cheese.

"How's this?" I questioned.

"That's fine," he smirked.

I turned on the oven and set the water to a boil.

"So how did you manage to get placed as my partner?" I wondered.

"I showed up late and everybody else already,had a partner. You weren't there so Mrs.Martin said we could be partners," he affirmed.

"I've never liked her," I muttered, mostly to myself.

"What about me?" He asked, tilting his head.

"What about you?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

I put the macaroni in the boiling water.

"Have you ever liked me?"

I pondered that for a moment.
"There was a time when I didn't even really acknowledge you just because we didn't talk. But when you were beating up Mark, I had to stand up for him. In that moment I knew I hated you for the way you acted, but not you yourself. Getting to know you, I have mixed feelings. Some days your tolerable, but others you drive me nuts. I guess the more time you spend with someone, you either grow to like them or grow to hate them," I claimed.

"So, right now? How do you feel?" He asked, standing by me. He crossed his arms.

"I'm feeling confused as to why you care," I muttered, stirring the macaroni.

" I care because you punched me in the face. Nobody would ever do that and I took an interest in you," he responded.

"Right now, I feel like your an okay person. You helped with the project the best you could, and you decided to stay to do some more. That's a good guy," I chuckled.

The macaroni was ready so I drained it, then put the packet of powdered cheese, milk and butter in it. I was stirring it together when I felt hands on my hips. I stiffened automatically.

"What are you doing?" I asked, breathing heavy. I couldn't take this guy on by myself!

"Do you not like it?" He whispered in my ear.

"I have a boyfriend," I reminded him, stepping away from his touch.

"Why? Why Rusty? I've known him most my life and he's a bore," Rider complained.

"To be honest, Rusty makes me feel special. He told me about his past and he listened to mine. I know it sounds cheesy, but he gives me butterflies," I sighed.

Rusty stared at me with wide eyes. "He told you his past?"

"Yes..."

"What did he say?" He demanded.

"He told me how you guys met and became friends, which was really cute. And how he put that guy in the hospital but gave the money to him and his family,"I speculated.

Rider put his face in his hands and groaned. "Skylar, he wasn't telling the truth."

"What are you saying? That Rusty lied to me?"I laughed.

I put the macaroni into two seperate bowls and handed him a fork. We sat back down at the island.

"Yes. But I can't tell you the truth," he grumbled.

"Why not?" I pondered.

"Reasons," he replied simply.

"I'm sure he had a good reason. If he ever wants to tell me anything more I'm sure he will," I complied.

"You are something special," Rider said, smirking.

"I'm an only child," I smiled back.

********************************

Rider and I ended up working on the project for another hour. We only got one page done of the first essay.

I sighed in frusturation. "Looks like I'll be seeing you a lot more now," I teased.

"Don't sound so sad," he joked back.

"If you want to work on this during lunch to keep plowing ahead, you're more than welcome to join. I need a good grade on this," I confided.

"Yeah. That sounds like a good idea. I don't want to intrude on you spending time with Rusty," he sighed.

"I wouldn't worry about it. Rusty seems like fight club is important to him. We can work on it at nights," I compromised.

"What about your parents?" He asked, clueless.

"My mom is gone for the next 3 months," I said.

"And your dad?" He asked, quietly.

"He died in a car crash 6 years ago. And it's weird, he was driving in this state, one town over where he died. It's kinda hard for me to live here. And I don't know why I just told you that," I sighed, embarrassed.

Rusty furrowed his eyebrows. "That crash sounds familiar," he mumbled, shaking his head.

"It was a big deal I guess. Most people think it was on purpose but I don't believe it. My dad was friends with everybody," I revealed.

"It's late. I should be going," Rider concluded.

"I'll walk you to the door."

"I had a good time tonight. Thanks for the killer mac and cheese," Rusty chuckled, low and quiet.

"Anytime. Next time it'll be steak," I promised.

********************************
About a week and half later, Rider and I had completed one essay. Only one left to go. He sat with me and my friends during lunch, even though we got little done. And during that week and a half, Rusty had taken me on 3 dates. They were all perfect and special. He took me back to the diner and then bowling. One time he took me to the park and we laid out under the stars. And last night he took me horse back riding. He was patient and encouraging the entire time, an absolute gentleman.

Rusty was over at my house and we were cuddled together on the couch. We were watching a horror movie. I'm not into chicken flicks.

"Hey Skylar?" Rusty said, breaking the silence.

"What's up?" I asked, looking at his blue eyes.

"I love you," he whispered.

I was completely caught off guard. I was not expecting him to flat out tell me he loved me. But what I replied surprised me even more.

"I love you, too," I smiled. Then we had a makout session.

You might not believe me when I say I loved him. But I really did. I couldn't imagine my life without him at this point. He was always there for me, always encouraging me, and smothering me in kindness. He was constantly showering me with compliments and never pressuring me to do things I didn't want to.

He was the definition of perfect.