Chapter 17

It was last period, a class I didn't have with Rider. There were about ten minutes left of class and I really had to pee.

I was walking down the hall to the bathroom when I saw Rusty and Kennedy making out against my locker.

I'm not going to lie when I say it still hurts. Having your best friend make out with your ex boyfriend who is also a killer wasn't good for the heart.

I made my way into the bathroom and went pee. While I was washing my hands, Kennedy came in.

"Skylar, I didn't know when you were coming back to school," she said, keeping her voice civil.

"Just leave me alone," I mumbled.

"I don't know what I did to you to make you hate me, but I'm sorry," she practically sneered.

"You made out with my ex boyfriend, after I just broke up with him. It hurt, Kennedy," I explained, my voice raising.

"You broke up with him! He was on the market, I had every right to kiss him," she yelled back.

"What about Hunter?" I snapped. "Does he know what you're doing?"

Her face paled. "We broke up."

"How can you break up if you were never even together?" I demanded.

"This isn't about me and Hunter. It's about you and me," Kennedy started. "You and Rusty broke up so I went after him. Just be happy I didn't go after him while you were dating."

"You were my best friend, you should have known how bad that would hurt," I spoke, my voice cracking.

"You can't stop me from liking who I like," she snapped.

Tears were falling freely from my eyes now.

"Here we go again. Just like middle school, crying over every little thing. Would you just stop?" Kennedy screamed.

"You of all people should know that what happened to me back then was nothing I could control!" I cried.

"Yes. Go and blame your mother for every thing, just like you always would. We all know you can't stand up for yourself," she laughed.

"What happened to you, Kennedy?" I whispered through my tears.

"I didn't change. You were the one who changed. You say you don't want attention but here you are, sleeping with any guy who glances in your direction," she yelled, her fists clenching.

"What are you even talking about?" I muttered.

"First Rusty, now Rider, I won't be surprised if you do that whole lunch table by the end of the month," she smirked.

That was low.

"Who started that rumor?" I laughed, humorless.

"Everybody knows it's true," she said, simply.

"I haven't slept with anybody. Would you just leave me alone?" I asked, suddenly feeling tired.

"Maybe. Depends on how I feel," she smiled. Then she walked out, leaving me alone. The bell rang, signaling that the day was over.

I wiped away my tears and walked out of the bathroom.

I made my way back to my class. I walked inside to grab my backpack. The class was absolutely empty. I walked back to my desk and grabbed my things. When I turned around, Rusty walked through the door.

I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Skylar," he whispered, like my name would solve all of his problems.

"Don't. Do not come near me. Do not speak to me," I said, firmly.

"Did I do that to you?" He murmured, pointing to the cut on my head.

I just nodded.

"You need to understand that I didn't mean to do it. I was drunk and angry at you. I don't know what overcame me," he apologized.

"You honestly think I'm going to forgive you. Do you know how much pain you have caused me? You killed my father!" I screamed.

"I had too," he mumbled.

"That's pathetic. Get out of here, right now," I said, my voice shaking.

"Skylar, I miss you," he cried.

"You told me you never loved me and that you never wanted to be with me. Do not tell me you miss me, you lied to me," I said, my jaw clenched.

"I had to lie. Please let me explain myself," he said, walking towards me.

I backed up in fear.

"Stay away from me!" I screamed.

Just then Rider walked in.

"What's going on here?" He asked, his voice tight.

Rusty whipped around at the sudden voice.

"It's none of your business," he replied, angry. Rider walked right up to him.

"It's doesn't look like nothing," Rider said. His fists were clenched at his sides, all of his muscles tense. He was a few inches taller than Rusty, making him even more scary. His eyes were glaring directly into Rusty's. His towering appearance made him see hero like.

Rusty wasn't backing down.

"You're not going to fight me. You gave that up years ago, remember?" Rusty taunted.

"I gave up fighting you, not fighting in general," he replied, husky.

"So then punch me. Show me you're still a fighter," Rusty pushed.

So Rider did just that. His fist made contact with Rusty's jaw, sending him to the ground.

"Leave Skylar alone," he hissed slowly.

He made his way to me. I ran over to him and threw my arms around his neck. He probably just saved my life. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

"You okay, cupcake?" He murmured into my ear.

"I am now," I whispered back.

I pulled away and took Rider out now the classroom. We left Rusty laying there, unconscious, I will never know.