Chapter 10

I woke up to the sound of a fist banging on my door. I was still lying on the floor. I slowly got up and walked to the door.

I pulled it open to see Rusty with a sad face.

I slammed the door in his face and locked it. He continued to bang on the door and yell my name but I just went upstairs and turned on my radio. I listened to the sad music to drown out Rusty calling me.

It was obvious that Rusty wasn't going to leave me alone, he was calling and texting my phone.

So I started to call Kennedy, but then I realized she would rub this in my face. I had nobody to talk to. Once again, I was completely alone.

You could call Rider, I thought.

I picked up my phone and dialed his number. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hey Skylar. What's up?" He asked casually.

"Can you come get Rusty of my doorstep?" I asked, surprisingly calm.

"Um,sure? Is everything okay?" He replied.

"Not really. But he isn't leaving and I can't handle it right now, " I whispered, voice cracking.

"I'm in my car now. I'll be there in a few," he said, hanging up.

I walked downstairs to get a bottle of water. Rusty was getting angry. I sat at the island and listened to him.

"Skylar, I swear to god, just open up, please. I was angry and had no right to yell at you, " he begged, shouting through the wood.

I put my face in my hands. The guy that killed my father was standing outside my house. And I loved him. I should be falling apart and screaming and crying. But I was just sitting there, taking it all in.

I heard the gravel in my driveway crunch as a car pulled in. I sighed in relief.

Rusty stopped yelling. A car for slammed.

"Skylar, why did you call Rider? He has no part in this!" Rusty screamed.

The yelling was quit and there was just mumbling that I couldn't understand. A few minutes later there was knocking on my door.

"Sky, it's me. Open up, " Rider called through the door, patient.

I got up,walked to the door, and collapsed into Rider's arms. Tears started falling freely from my eyes while sobs wracked my body. It felt so good to cry. Rider picked me up and took me into the living room. He sat down on the couch and put me in his lap.

We must have sat there for hours because I felt Rider's stomach growl in hunger.

"You're hungry," I cried pathetically into his shoulder. "I'm sitting here balling my fucking eyes out while you hold me. I'm such an awful person."

Rider chuckled softly. "Your not an awful person. And so what I'm hungry? I'm not leaving," he whispered reassuringly into my ear.

"You need to eat. You're a growing boy," I mumbled against his chest. Laying against him for that time, I could make out all of his muscles in his stomache. His breathing was even and calm the whole time.

I started to get up but he pulled me back down. I started a whole new round of crying. Rider just held me.

I pulled myself together and got off of him. "I promised you steak," I said, wiping away the tears off my face.

"Skylar, you don't have to make me steak," he argued.

"Well, I'm going to," I replied, walking outside to start the grill.

He followed me to the grill.

"You know how to use a grill?" He asked, smiling.

"I know how to do a lot of things. This is how life usually is. My mom goes out of town and leaves me alone," I explained, frowning.

"Well I think it's attractive," he said, sitting in a pool chair, on the patio.

I went back into the house to grab the steak from the house. I went back out to see Rusty swimming in the pool.

"Isn't it cold?" I laughed.

"Very. But everybody should swim on cold days," he explained.

"And why is that?" I asked, setting the steak on the grill. I went over to the pool and dipped my feet in, sitting on the edge.

He swam over to me. "Because I want to swim with you," he chided, placing his hands on my hips and pulling me into the water.

"Rider! It's so freaking cold! Why would you do that?" I yelled, laughing.

He swam to the other end before I could start splashing him.

"Because I knew it would make you smile," he murmured.

"So you pulled me into this water, that is making my hands turn blue, just so I would smile?" I asked, wrapping my arms around myself to try to keep warm.

Rider pulled himself out of the pool.

"And for another reason," he said, mysteriously.

I got out of the pool,and grabbed a towel off of the clothes line. There was no sun, just clouds so that made everything more chilly.

Rider came up behind me and put his arms around my waist. He placed his chin on my shoulder.

"I needed a reason to hold you," he murmured.

His body heat made mine warmer. His closeness made me blush.

"You're so cheesy," I giggled.

"Yeah, but you love it," he argued.

"Know what else I love? Food,"I said, dragging him with me back to the grill.

"I think you're a pretty cool girl. I mean, I don't know any girls that can cook a steak, let alone use a grill," he said, staring at me intently.

"I'm not any other girl," I teased.

"No. No you're not,"he agreed.

Sorry it's so short! I started to write in, then got busy, and now I'm busy again so I finished it up quick. Vote, comment, share, please let me know what you think. I'll try to update another one by tomorrow or tomorrow night! Thank you guys so much for reading!!