Chapter 33: Fireflies

We've been traveling for a day now. Using the map, we were able to set off in the direction of the islands. We packed up some things in our saddle bags and said goodbye to everyone. Dad wasn't happy, nobody was. But we'll be back soon hopefully. 

Oh, how I've missed being here and away from things back home. I've always had that need for adventure much like my brother. But I feel like I've lied to him. 

I said that I wouldn't leave again but now I am. It's fine, it's not like I'm leaving for good. We are just going to these islands then we are going back to Berk. 

Or we could stay out here, it's much nicer. We could live out here like this and build a house or something. Oh! We could find an island close to Berk and make something there. That way I can stay close to family. I will have to run it by Viggo to see what he thinks. 

I think flying has given me too much time to think. 

"There's an island in the distance, we should camp there for the night." Viggo said from over on Zyran. Perfect timing. 

"Good idea." I nodded as a sly smile formed on my face "Race ya." 

Navjeev took off towards the island and Ravi chirped in alarm at the sudden take off in speed. We landed on the island first and Viggo and Zyran landed a few seconds after us. The island was a decent size with a forest in the center and a mountain along with it. 

"If you are going to do a race then at least give a warning before hand."  Viggo complained looking annoyed but I could hear the slight laugh in his voice.

I just stuck my tongue out at him in response and looked into the forest. With the sun going down it made the it look darker and eerie. It made me slightly uneasy and an unsettling feeling rose in the pit of my stomach. Viggo must have noticed because he came beside me and placed his hand on my back.

"It's alright, we just need to find a cave to stay in for the night" He said and ushered me forward before slipping his hand in mine.

Forests don't usually don't scare me, its only at night when they bother me.   

I stuck close by him as we walked into the forest, our dragons following behind us. I watched the trees pass by as we walked and listened to crickets chirp to their own song. 

I jumped slightly when I heard a crash behind me and turned to watch as Navjeev chased a firefly. Ravi jumped up and ate one before quickly spitting it out and rushed beside me. Zyran watched a few fly by her with curiosity.  I felt my heartbeat slow down watching them play with the fireflies. 

Viggo let go of my hand as we found a cave. 

"Ravi, scout." I told her and she rushed into the cave. 

She came back moments later and gave a few chirps, saying it was okay and empty. Viggo stepped in the cave first and I followed him. The setting sun was barely lighting the cave and soon there wouldn't be any light left. 

"I will go get firewood, you stay here." Viggo told me. 

I nodded and he left with Zyran. I gathered a few rocks in the cave and set them up in a circle for the fire. Going to Navjeev, I took off his saddle and set it aside. He shook himself and laid down at the end of the shallow cave, Ravi laying down and curling up next to him. I opened up the saddle bag and grabbed some bread. 

Viggo and Zyran came back some time later with firewood and I helped him make a fire. The cave lit up nicely and I could see the spacious room. It was dark now and I could hardly see anything outside the cave. 

We finished eating the bread and I left the fire and went to a part of the cave were I had set up some blankets, Viggo stayed by the fire a little while longer. I laid down on the blankets and the hard stone ground was not very comfortable to say the least.