Chapter 42

"Oh no, really?" Liv gasped.

"Yes, mom just called, she's on her way to Grandma and Grandpa's right now. Grandma said Grandpa is taking it really hard," Rory told her.

"Of course he is, Gran was his mom," Liv sighed.

"Especially after their argument when mom last saw her," Rory agreed.

"Oh damn, I forgot about that. Poor Grandpa."

Rory paused, "I was wondering, obviously I am going to come home but I have things to do for the paper so can't get back until tomorrow evening...do you think you could go over there now? To check on Grandma and Grandpa and help mom?"

Liv raised her eyebrows, "is this a ploy to get me and mom to make up?"

"Pfft," Rory scoffed, followed by a moment of silence, "okay, yes. I've told her she's being stupid, it will probably be okay when you get there."

Liv groaned, "fine. Nothing like a family tragedy to get the family to reconcile, I guess."

"Thanks, Liv. I'll be there tomorrow, I promise," Rory said, before hanging up.

Throwing her phone across the room, Liv grabbed her bag, wondering why she even bothered to unpack her things.

----------------------------------------

Liv arrived at the Gilmore's several hours later, and parked next to her mother's jeep. Inhaling deeply, she made her way to the door, and was greeted by a new maid. She made her way to the main room, so see Emily in a floral robe with a glass of water.

"Hi, Grandma. Rory called, I'm so sorry," Liv said, deciding to put aside any past disagreements she had had with Emily.

"Liv, dear! Good to see you, sit down. Don't apologise, I'm fine," Emily said, her cheery nature confusing Liv, until it dawned on her that Emily wasn't drinking water.

"What's that?" Liv asked, gesturing to a piece of paper Emily was clutching.

"This," Emily said, laughing, "this is why I'm not upset."

Liv reached for it and scanned it quickly. She knew that Gran and Emily didn't get along but the letter she was reading really was horrible. No wonder Emily looked like Christmas had come early.

"That's...awful," Liv told her, placing the letter on the table between then, "but Grandma, Grandpa doesn't need you to be...celebrating his mother's death," she said, carefully.

Emily scoffed, and before she could speak, Lorelai entered the room and froze upon seeing Liv.

"What are you doing here?" Lorelai said, clearly regretting her tone as she said it.

Liv raised an eyebrow, "nice to see you too. I spoke to Rory, she said she couldn't be here yet so I thought I'd come to help."

Lorelai nodded, "thanks, Liv. Look, mom, I told dad I'd go and run some errands for him, will you be okay here?"

"Splendid," Emily smiled, refilling her glass.

"Shall I come with you?" Liv asked.

Lorelai paused, before her face softened, "of course. I'll meet you in the jeep?"

Liv nodded as she left and turned to Emily, "is there anything I can do for you, Grandma?"

Emily shrugged, "no I'm all good here."

Liv nodded, "okay, well I'm gonna go and check on grandpa, let him know I'm here to help."

Liv walked towards his study, and knocked. She received a gruff 'come in' and she was shocked to see her grandpa in his pyjamas on the sofa, in darkness.