Chapter 29

"We have to go out, it's our time to get to know everyone," Hayley told Liv, pushing her into her room.

"But I already know you, surely that's enough," Liv whined.

"No, you have to know more people than me. Plus I'd like to meet some cute boys. I know you're all loved up, but you're prettier than me. So you attract the boys, let them down slowly and point them in my direction to allow me to cheer them up," Hayley explained, looking through Liv's clothes.

"Why are you looking through my clothes?"

"To find you something to wear. Now, stop complaining," Hayley said without looking at her.

An hour later, both girls were ready and walking to the nearest club. They found two free stools at the bar and claimed them, ordering a vodka and coke each.

"So, you have a twin sister?" Hayley said, sipping her drink.

Liv nodded, "yeah, her name's Rory. She's at Yale."

"I bet it's costing your mom a fortune," Hayley laughed.

Liv shrugged, "we have rich grandparents and scholarships," she cringed immediately, "that wasn't me bragging. I'm a great disappointment to my grandmother and my scholarship barely helps."

Hayley shook her head, "don't worry, my parents are pretty rich which is the reason I'm here."

"I hate people with money," Liv admitted, waving to the bartender to ask for another drink.

"So do I," Hayley agreed, then said through her smile, "you have a boy staring at 3 o'clock. Laugh like I'm really funny and glance over."

Liv did just that, laughed loudly, but not weirdly, and caught the boy's eye. He took it as a sign to go to her, and Liv gritted her teeth, "what do I do?"

Barely moving her lips, "tell him you have a boyfriend but a best friend who's totally desperate for one."

"Hey," the boy said, and Liv turned to him, grinning.

"Hey, I'm Liv."

"I'm Josh. Can I get you a drink?"

Liv frowned, "actually I have one."

"Okay, well do you wanna dance?" He asked.

"No," Liv said, "look, before you get carried away, I'm not interested. I have a boyfriend."

"Oh," Josh said, "well then —"

"But, my friend over there is single, gorgeous and funny. Maybe you should go and talk to her instead?" She said, standing next to him, and gesturing to Hayley, who was pretending not to notice.

His eyebrows raised, "I think I will. Thanks."

Liv watched him go over to her new friend, and within seconds, they went to dance together. Liv chuckled and returned to her stool, ordering another drink.

"You weren't interested in him then?" She heard a voice behind her. She turned to see a guy with black hair and a denim jacket standing by her.

"Sorry, what?"

"Oh, Josh is my friend. I'm Max," he said, sitting in Hayley's seat, not that she was using it anymore.

"Oh, I'm Liv. And no, I wasn't interested. I have a boyfriend," she explained, "why don't you have a girl wrapped around you yet?"

"Because I have a girlfriend," he smiled.

"That explains it," Liv nodded, "do you wanna dance?"