Chapter 40

Grinning as she put her mobile away, Lorelai looked at the gum wrapper in her hand and grinned, running to Sookie's house from her own. She quickly called Michel to tell him to meet him at Sookie's, and he was there when she arrived.

"What's wrong?" Sookie asked, holding her newborn baby, Davey, in her arms.

Still grinning, she handed over the gum wrapper, "guess who just booked the Dragonfly Inn's first reservation!"

"But you wrote it down on a gum wrapper," Michel said in disgust.

"So?"

"It's embarrassing. This is an historical document," he said, in the same tone.

Sookie bounced up and down, making Davey giggle, "who cares what she wrote it down on? This is exciting!"

Michel gave her back the wrapper, "big red wrapper."

"Would you have preferred her to write it on Juicy Fruit?" Sookie said, patronisingly.

"Well, I'm going to go out and get a value pack for when things really start getting busy around here."

Ignoring him, Lorelai told them she was going to check on the inn, as Tom was there doing some construction work.

Lorelai walked up to where the new inn was sat, grinning as she imagined how it would be in a few weeks time, with her and Sookie's stamp on it, their customers bustling in and out, as she walked around the foyer greeting her guests. Tom walked out of the building as she stopped outside it, her grin faltering as she saw his expression.

"How's my inn, Tom?" She asked.

"Do you want the honest truth or the nice truth?" Tom asked back.

"Just tell me what's wrong," she sighed, dreading the answer.

"There are more issues than I thought initially," Tom told her.

"Just tell me how much it's gonna cost. I understand money better than construction terms," Lorelai chuckled nervously.

"$30,000."

If it was possible, Lorelai was sure her eyes would've popped out of her head there and then.

"$30,000...Tom, I don't have that! How did you miss $30,000 of work?" Lorelai said, incredulous.

"It's all in the foundations and everything...look I'll get you the invoice which will break it down for you," Tom told her, walking back inside.

Lorelai stood, feeling as though she'd been hit in the stomach by a train.

She walked back into town in a daze, towards her safe haven, and slumped at the counter of the diner. She sent Luke a look, and in no more than 5 seconds, a steaming cup of coffee was placed in front of her.

Luke looked down at her with concern, and covered her hand with hers.

"What's wrong?"

"So, you know the inn? The inn that I thought it would be brilliant to buy, with zero thought about the consequences or implications? I need to find $30,000 to pay for it, because as it turns out, it's going to fall down without the $30,000 and therefore, my career, dreams and life as I know it is going to fall down, and Luke, why did I think that this would be a good idea? I don't have $30,000 and Sookie doesn't have $30,000 and Luke what am I going to do?" Lorelai explained, becoming more and more stressed as she continued.