♥ Truth ♥

♥ Truth ♥

"Could you leave us, Hoseok?" Jungkook motioned to the door.

"Of course."

As the door closed, Jungkook moved towards me slowly. All sensibilities told me I should back away. Run. But as he pulled me into his arms, I did the opposite. I wrapped my arms around his back and buried my head in his chest, allowing the emotions I'd been holding back to flow freely. Tears streamed down my cheeks as choked sobs muffled themselves against his shirt. When I jumped between Jungkook and Yoongi, I was terrified. I'd acted on pure impulse.

He rubbed circles on my back until I'd calmed down enough to stop crying, at which point he pulled back from me to speak. "How is the cut?"

"Hoseok says it isn't deep enough to need stitches," I replied in a low voice.

He looked at me and frowned. "You shouldn't have done that. It was reckless. Insane, really."

"What are you?" I blurted out.

Jungkook's eyes darted back and forth. He was either formulating a believable lie or finding the proper way to tell me the truth. I hoped for the latter, though I wasn't sure what he could possibly tell me that would make sense of what I saw. I knew what I'd seen. Glowing eyes the color of blood. Teeth unnaturally sharp. It was inhuman. And while I hadn't seen the change on Jungkook specifically, his lack of reaction to it told me all I needed to know. He knew what it was.

"You should have ran." He sighed, taking a seat on the bed. He patted the spot next to him and I obliged. "What kind of person sees what you saw and doesn't run? Even now, you don't look horrified as you should."

"No more riddles, Jungkook." I shook my head. "You sound like you are hoping for it, but I'm not running, so just answer my question."

He turned his head away and paused. For a while he just stared ahead at the wall, saying nothing. When he finally did speak, I thought I'd misheard him. "We're vampires."

"What?"

"Vampires. Not much different than the kind humans have fantasized about in books and movies." He turned to look at me, his eyes unreadable. "Much of what humans fantasize is real."

I searched his face for the punchline to his joke, but there was nothing there. Whether it was true or not, he believed what he was saying. "How should I...?"

"Trust me?" He perked up. "Do you want me to prove it?"

My heart raced at the thought...until it hit me. The fuzzy memories. The night I'd sworn I'd heard a voice, his voice, in my dreams. The sharp pains I'd felt in my neck. The times I'd blacked out. My body went numb. "Have you- done this- bit me...before?"

Before he could answer I stood up from the bed. "You've been using me." My voice was shaky with more anger than fear. No, I wasn't afraid of him. I was furious. At him, and myself- him for playing me for a fool, and me for allowing it to happen. I'd fallen for him...all according to his plan.

"At least listen to me!" He stood up. "I can already see your mind going a million miles a minute coming up with scenarios in which I've betrayed you."

"What am I to you, Jungkook?" I spoke the words bitterly. "Is this why you hired me? Is this why I live with you?"

There was a long silence. He opened his mouth and bit back whatever words were brewing. "I already told you what you are- my employee." He stepped towards me. "Yes, that is why I hired you. Yes, that is why you live with me."

"Then, I quit." I shot back at him.

"You remember your contract, don't you? Six months." His eyes narrowed in on me. He looked nothing like the man who had held me in his arms and let me cry just moments ago. That facade was fading fast. "Can you pay the penalty?"

My mouth dropped. "You'll force me to be your human blood supply?"

He said nothing- which was answer enough.

"Go ahead then," I replied emotionless.

The smallest bit of shock appeared on his face. "What are you-"

I pulled the bandage roughly from my arm, revealing my wound and tearing the skin further. "This is my purpose, right? So, go ahead."

He jilted his neck sharply, his eyes twitching at the sight of my blood. I watched, unmoving, as they transformed from their usual shade of deep espresso to a deep burgundy. His tongue moved along the tips of too-sharp canines. He appeared to be fighting it. For what reason, I had no idea. I'd already discovered what he really wanted me for. The reason he was being kind. To make things easier for himself. Perhaps, to expunge some of his guilt. I didn't care.

I moved closer to him. "Do it!"

Faster than my eyes could register, his hands were at my throat, my neck being tilted to the side, exposing the skin. His fangs plunged into my neck and I gasped in response. The pain was the same as I vaguely recalled, but it faded the same, too. That feeling, of numbness, was so much worse. All I could feel was his lips against my skin. And it made my heart race, and my stomach flip. And I hated it.

When he pulled away, I brought my fingers to the mark he'd left me. "How does this usually disappear?" I tried to hide just how breathless I was.

He wiped at his mouth as he met my gaze. "You'll drink some of mine. It will heal your wounds."

I clenched my teeth. "How often do we have to do this?"

"Once a week will suffice." He then bit into his own wrist, drawing his blood, and held it up to me.

"This won't make me forget, right?" I questioned, hesitantly grabbing his wrist.

He shook his head. "No. That's something else entirely. An ability of ours...and before you ask- no, I can't, and won't make you forget this entire night."

Without another word, I reached for his wrist and lapped up the blood dripping down. The sensation was unnatural, but I couldn't deny that the moment it touched my tongue, the pain in my arm began to fade, and every ache in my body was whisked away. Once he'd deemed that I'd consumed enough, he ripped his arm away from me, and left the room without another word, leaving me alone and covered in a mixture of both of our blood.

I collapsed to the floor and cried once more.