Lay Your Hands on Me

Start from the beginning

"Hey, you did well. We were close," I said giving him a high-five.

"How close?" Jacob asked. I wheeled the chair to the cafeteria. "That was really close. Can we try again tomorrow?" Jacob asked.

"Of course we can champ," I said. I got him to his room and then we were all paged to the pit. I was the last one down there. Tuck got injured. Dr Torres, Addison, Dr Webber, Derek, Bailey and Tucker were all in a trauma room.

"What happened?" I asked.

"He got crushed under a bookshelf," Izzie said.

"Multiple rib fractures," Cristina said.

"Might've dropped a lung," Alex said.

"They're worried there may be damage to the heart," Meredith said.

"Dr Sage Sloan and Dr Montgomery to the front desk. Dr Sage Sloan and Dr Montgomery to the front desk," Came over the alarm system.

"Go," Alex said to me.

"You think I'm going when Bailey's kid is in there," I said.

"Go. I'll keep you posted," Alex said.

"Alright I'm going," I said.

"Sage," Addison said walking out of the room.

"I'll tell her you're on your way," I said before running off to the front desk. There was a brunette woman standing in the lobby of the hospital. "Ms Collins, hi I'm Sage Sloan. Addison's dealing with a patient right now but she'll get here when she can,"

"Don't panic there's no rush," Ms Collins said shaking my hand. "And please call me Jen,"

"Okay then," I said.

"Ms Collins. I'm so sorry about that. I'm Addison Montgomery," Addison said shaking the woman's hand.

"Like I said to Sage there's no rush. And call me Jen," Jen said.

"Shall we find somewhere more private?" Addison suggested. We began walking up to a conference room.

"So you're a surgical resident what exactly is that?" Jen asked me.

"It means that I'm learning to be a surgeon. I've done my intern year which is fresh out of med school. Now I have more knowledge but I'm still learning. I have a group of interns with which I'm responsible for sharing my knowledge to help them grow," I said.

"And you're an attending?" Jen asked Addison.

"Yes. So I'm a fully qualified surgeon who specialises in Neonatal care and OB/GYN. I work with interns and residents to teach them," Addison said as we walked into the conference room. We sat down.

"I imagine your work schedules are pretty crazy," Jen said.

"Sage works 80 hours a week unless we have a big situation where it's all hands on deck. My schedule is more flexible so that I can move things around to a certain extent," Addison said.

"But we have a really great support system and our bosses are understanding," I said.

"How about nights?" Jen asked.

"I do one night shift a week," I said.

"And I do one every 2 weeks but the hospital offers a great night care service if it happened that we'd both be working the same night," Addison said as her pager went off.

"You can go get that," Jen said. "You're doctors. You're busy,"

"I'm sorry it's one of our own's children," Addison said walking out.

"So Neonatal is babies?" Jen asked.

"Neonatal refers to babies in still in the uterus or up to 28 days after birth," I said.

"Neither of you is originally from Washington and one of the documents you'll be required to provide are your birth certificates do you both have access to those?" Jen asked.

"Yes. We've been working to get our paperwork in order," I said.

"And you're an army veteran," Jen said.

"Yes ma'am," I said. "I see a therapist once every week and we have phone conversations. I was diagnosed with PTSD,"

"Okay. Do you take medication?" Jen asked.

"No. I've got a handle on it. I suffer from nightmares but I know my limits and I've got my triggers logged," I said.

"Have you ever had violent episodes?" Jen asked.

"I've never hurt other people but when I first got out of the army before I saw a therapist I punched a window. That's when I knew I had to talk to someone," I said. "Me telling you this is it going to affect our chances of having kids because we really want kids and we'll love them with everything we've got?" I asked.

"No. It won't affect your chances. You seem to know what you're doing. You know when to ask for help. That's a good thing. We don't ask for perfect," Jen said.

"We have a dog. A german shepherd named Ace. He's an army vet too but he's very calm. Giant softy," I said. "Loves a cuddle,"

"That's good. Some kids react really well with a dog," Jen said. "Thank you for the time. I'm sure you've got patients to get back to," Jen said.

"I'll walk you out," I said. We walked out of the conference room. Alex was there.

"Hi. I'm Dr Alex Karev. I know you've been talking to Addison and Sage but there's things I'd like to tell you. If you've got the time," Alex said. "I can walk and talk," My pager went off.

"How about you walk me out?" Jen asked.

"Sure," Alex said. Alex and Jen walked away.

Timeskip

We were all gathered outside the PICU where Tuck was. Addison and I were leaning against each other.

"Alex and Callie were talking to Jen," Addison said quietly.

"They wanted to put in a word for us," I said wrapping my arms around her. George walked over.

"Hey. Are you still renting out your apartment?" George asked.

"Yeah. Nobody's moved in yet," I said.

"How much is rent?" George asked.

"200," I said.

"For the whole place? Are you sure?" George asked.

"Yeah. Gas, water and electricity are paid for a year along with 2 parking spaces," I said.

"Can I have it?" George asked.

"Sure," I said. "The keys are in my locker. I'll grab them later. It's fully furnished and there's a maintenance guy's number on the fridge," I said.

"Thank you," George said pulling me into a hug.