If Tomorrow Never Comes

Alex and I were walking down the hallway.

"So pancakes has left the state how are you feeling?" Alex mocked me.

"She's a surgeon too. She has to get back to the sick babies of New York," I said.

"Did she kiss you goodbye?" Alex asked.

"Go do one devil baby," I said. Alex laughed.

"Whatever you say blondie," Alex said. We met up with Dr Bailey and the other people in our group to round on patients.

"When we walk in this door, you will maintain decorum. You will not laugh, vomit, or drop your jaw. Are we understood?" Dr Bailey warned us outside of a patient's room.

"Why would we laugh?" Izzie asked.

"Oh, just wait," Alex said. We walked in to see a woman laying on the bed with a massive tumor.

"Good morning, Miss Connors," Dr Bailey said.

"Good Morning," Miss Connors said.

"Good morning, Annie. How are you? This is Dr Bailey and these are my fellow interns," Alex said.

"Dr Karev, we refer to patients as "mister" Dr Bailey began before Miss Connors cut him off.

"I told him to call me "Annie." "Miss Connors" makes me feel old and fat, which I am, but why feel that way?" Annie said. Dr Burke walked in.

"Good morning," Dr Burke said.

"Annie, this is Dr Burke," Alex said.

"Dr Karev," Dr Bailey said waiting for Alex to begin presenting.

"Annie Connors is a 43-year-old woman who presented last night with progressive shortness of breath for the past three months. Found to have a very large tumor of unknown origin pressed against her diaphragm. Stable vital signs. Scheduled for CT this morning, sir," Alex said.

"Thank you, Dr Karev," Dr Burke began. "Are you at all claustrophobic?" Dr Burke asked Annie.

"I've been housebound for the last year. How claustrophobic could I be?" Annie asked.

"All right then. Dr Stevens is going to take you up for a CT. It'll give us a better look at the tumor, and we'll know how to proceed," Dr Burke said.

"Could someone tell my mom? She'll worry if she gets back and I'm not here," Annie said.

"Yeah, of course. Of course," Dr Burke said.

"And would it be possible for Alex to take me instead? I mean, he...He's just so fun to look at," Annie said.

"Annie," Alex smiled.

"Sure. Sure, Ms Connors. Excuse me," Dr Burke said as we walked out. I leaned against the wall flicking through the chart in my hands not paying attention to the conversation that the others were having until Dr Bailey walked out.

"Let's move, people. Ms Connors' surgery, should we choose to proceed, will take most, if not all, of the surgeons off the floor, which means you people will have to work extra hard not to kill anyone because we won't be there to fix your mistakes," Dr Bailey said. We walked to the Peds floor. Tommy was sat up in bed.

"Dr Sloan," Tommy said.

"Hey," I said. "Tommy Morgans, 6 days post-op appendectomy. Vitals have remained stable. No signs of physical signs of infection waiting for labs to confirm,"  I presented handing Dr Bailey his chart.

"How are you feeling Tommy?" Dr Bailey asked.

"Ready to go home," Tommy said.

"I'm going to wait on these results to come in but if they're good you'll be able to go home," Dr Bailey said.