Into You Like a Train

I was in my shrink's office when my pager went off

I was in my shrink's office when my pager went off. It said 911.

"I'm really sorry. I've got to go. Can we finish this next time?" I asked.

"Yeah," Dr Ryan said.

"Goodnight," I yelled running off.

Timeskip

I ran into the ER floor. I wrapped and tied a trauma covering over my clothes with gloves. I saw Meredith trying to inject herself with a banana bag. I walked over.

"Sage," Meredith slurred.

"Grey, give me your arm," I said. Meredith held out her arm. I fixed the banana bag into her arm hooking the bag onto a pole. "Are you allergic to aspirin?" I asked.

"No," Meredith said. I added aspirin to the banana bag. "Why?"

"You're going to have a hangover. Aspirin helps," I said. "Don't do something stupid,"

"Sloan with me," Addison yelled wheeling a pregnant lady past. I rushed after her.

Timeskip

I was debriding the pregnant lady Brooke's burns while Addison was doing an ultrasound. Brooke started gasping in pain.

"Did ... was that a ...did I have ...?" Brooke struggled.

"Contraction. It was definitely a contraction. We need to book an OR," Addison said.

"On it," I said.

"And go get a change of scrubs," Addison said.

Timeskip

I was standing leaning against the wall while Addison spoke to Brooke. Another clearly pregnant woman walked in.

"Brooke!" The woman said.

"Jana?" Brooke asked. "Thank god," Alex walked in after Jana and Addison walked over to him.

"Dr Karev?" Addison asked.

"I couldn't stop her ..." Alex said.

"She was on the train?" Addison asked cutting him off.

"Yeah, yes," Alex said.

"You did an ultrasound? Cleared her C-spine? Is there any reason you can think that this patient should be wandering around the hospital unattended?" Addison asked.

"She's not unattended. I came up with her. She's, " Addison cut him off.

"You can leave now, Dr Karev," Addison said. Alex walked off. "Irresponsible. Even for an intern," Addison said to me.

"Cut him some slack. He's not having a good day," I said.

"Get our new patient into a bed," Addison said.

Timeskip

Jana was holding Brooke's hands Brooke was on her side while Addison walked me through giving Brooke an injection.

"Right there. In between the vertebral spaces. Don't be shy about pressure," Addison said.

"That's good. You are doing so good," Jana coxed her friend. Patricia, Chief Webber's assistant walked in.

"Somebody called for a notary?" Patricia asked.

"I asked for a lawyer," Brooke said.

"I couldn't get one at this time of night but the hospital has pretty standard forms. It just says in the case of death or permanent vegetative state, that your child will remain in the custody of ... and then we'll put her name in," Patricia explained.

"Wait, uh what? Who's dying here?" Jana asked Addison.

"There's some danger. With any surgery, there's danger. But with the trauma of Brooke's burns, there's an additional risk of shock. She just wants to be certain," Addison explained.

"That's ridiculous. You're being ridiculous. You're gonna be fine, do you hear me?" Jana said.

"I hear you but we still have to sign the forms unless you want our son to end up with my mom," Brooke said. Jana quickly took the forms.

"How long have you two been together?" Patricia asked.

"Since third grade," Brooke said.

"We're not lovers. We're best friends. We just wanted our kids to have two parents. So we got a sperm donor," Jana said.

"The same donor? So your babies are brother and sister?" Addison asked.

"Oh, how cool is that," Patricia said. Addison and I smiled.

"Wet," Jana said.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh," Patricia said looking down.

"I'm wet. I think my water just broke," Jana said.

Timeskip

Both Brooke and Jana were in bed. I was writing on Brooke's chart while Addison was introducing Brooke to the OB resident.

"Jana, this our OB resident Dr. Hoffman. She's going to be taking care of you from here," Addison said.

"You're doing great Jana. Just keep breathing. I'm gonna check your cervix now," Dr Hoffman said.

"Brooke we've booked an O.R but they're not gonna hold it for long so we need to go now," Addison said looking at Brooke's chart.

"Right now? But we're supposed to be together. We took classes," Brooke said.

"I'm sorry but we can't wait," Addison said.

"That's ok Brookie. You go have your C-section and enjoy those drugs this is already not fun for my vagina," Jana said. Addison motioned for me to start moving Brooke's bed.

"Dr Sloan," Addison said.

"No if I have to go, she has to stay. Someone has to stay with Jana. Please," Brooke said.

"Brooke uh Dr Sloan is a surgeon but I'm gonna find you some ..." Addison was cut off.

"It's ok. I'll stay," I said cutting her off.

"Ok," Addison said.

"Brookie, you stay alive ok?" Jana said.

"You too," Brooke said.

Timeskip

I woke up in a chair at the nurses' station. Addison was stood in front of me.

"Baby was born with no complications. Dr Hoffman took her up to the nursery," I said. "It's in Jana's chart,"

"Dr Hoffman filled me in," Addison said.

"How did Brooke and her baby boy do?" I asked.

"They made it," Addison said. I looked at her watch.

"Shoot, I've got rounds. Gotta go," I said standing up. I rushed to the locker room and began changing into a fresh set of scrubs. As I pulled my scrub top over my head the door opened. Addison walked over.

"Figured you could do with some coffee," Addison said handing me a cup. "Americano,"

"Thank y-" I was cut off by the door opening and Bailey walking in.

"Better get cleaned up. Rounds. 5 minutes," Bailey said. The others filed out of the room.

"Thanks for the coffee," I said before leaving.