Begin the Beginning

Meredith and I joined the surgical residents and interns gathered at the stairs with Chief Webber. We stopped beside Alex.

"Listen up people. New Year, new rules or should I say New Year and we will be enforcing the rules mandated by the residency review committee. There were too many mistakes made last year. Fatigue played too big a role. Exceeding 80 hours per week will not be tolerated," Chief Webber said. "Sullivan, you were on-call for 28 hours, leave when you hit 30. Grey, you were here until 2am last night, see you at noon,"

"I get to go? Free time?" Meredith asked me and Alex.

"Run before he changes his mind," Alex said. Meredith walked away.

"Oh and people our nurses are going to have to work extra hours to compensate so treat them well. Cranky nurses don't do us any good," Chief Webber said.

"Well maybe you can cheer them up," Izzie said to Alex as she and George walked past us. Izzie stopped and turned around. "You know what? My New Year's resolution was to let it go, and I am. I have...let it go. I apologize,"

"You do?" George asked as we began walking down the hallway.

"I do," Izzie said.

"How'd your test go?" I asked Alex.

"I feel pretty good about it but I won't know for a few days," Alex said.

"Well we're all pulling for you," Izzie said.

"We are?" George asked.

"We are," Izzie said.

Timeskip

Dr Bailey, Alex, Izzie, George and I were rounding on patients.

"Denny Duquette," Bailey said.

"Hey Dr Bailey," Mr Duquette said.

"I hope to see you here means that they finally found you a heart," Bailey said.

"No offence doctor but I'm not a big fan of hospitals. It takes something pretty special to get me in here," Mr Duquette said.

"What do we know about Mr Duquette?" Bailey asked Izzie.

"Capricorn, single, loves to travel and cook," Mr Duqette smiled at Izzie.

"Denny be quiet. Let her show off," Dr Bailey said.

"Denny Duquette, 36. Admitted today for a heart transplant necessitated by a viral cardiomyopathy," Izzie said.

"Hmm, and what does that mean?" Dr Bailey asked.

"That his heart is unable to fill and pump blood normally," Izzie said.

"Good. Denny this is Dr Stevens. She'll be tending to your private surgery," Dr Bailey said.

"So I guess I'll see you around, Dr Stevens," Denny said. We followed Bailey out of the room into the hallway.

"No one enforced an 80-hour work week when I was an intern. 110, 120 hours suited me just fine. I learned more because I worked more," Dr Bailey said.

"Well, at least this way you get a rest before you have the baby. I mean being that pregnant, keeping up this pace," George said.

"Are you saying I look tired O'Malley?" Dr Bailey asked.

"No. He's just saying that rest is good for babies and mothers-to-be," I said. "Right, George?"

"Yes," George nodded.

"O'Malley, go do an intake on Addison Shepherd's patient," Dr Bailey said.

"Lieutenant, what do you think?" Harry asked walking past with a nurse.