12 | Soulmate

Susan Sontag once said, "Love is friendship on fire

Susan Sontag once said, "Love is friendship on fire." This aphorism seems to be the defining quality of Taehyung and Jungkook's relationship. Having known each other for a short time and quickly becoming friends paved the way for a love affair to remember.

Jungkook was sitting and trying to remember how it all happened so fast so that He could live with every one of their memories from this island. He thought of how when they first met, unofficially, he recalled how he couldn't tear his eyes away from Tae's face. He's a beautiful man and He didn't feel shallow remembering that that's what got his attention. Taehyung was gorgeous, 10/10.

But he could tell that Mr. Handsome was also a kind guy. He didn't curse him out for spilling his drink on him. That made an impression right away. So by the time they met on the yacht, he knew he was a person he'd at least like to get to know better if given the opportunity.

Jungkook planned to be back in Atlanta shortly after the yacht trip, so he wasn't expecting much from Taehyung. But Tae flirted with him. He was intrigued but Tae would have to work a little harder.

Then Taehyung saved his life and became his friend. They talked every single night on the island, even if it was dirty talk during sexy times. Taehyung was so easy to talk to. His eyes would light up when Kook talked as he never seemed to get bored with him. He could tell him anything and he still wanted to communicate more.

The same was for him. Taehyung loved talking to him about his mother, his friendship with Kai, and even about his time growing up in the city. He heard countless rehearsals of the meals prepared by his mom that he would want if ever rescued. He knew his favorite city hangout spots and his favorite eateries.

Taehyung also shared with him why he wasn't in a committed relationship all this time. He had lots more to share, but Jungkook didn't know this at the present.

Taekook even shared their favorite books with each other. Since they didn't have anything to read on the island, they entertained each other by giving each other full reviews of books they had read over the years. They did the same with tv shows and movies. Tae couldn't believe Kook hadn't watched the show The Office. He spoke of the show often which made him become excited about watching Michael Scott be the idiot boss on the show. Taehyung convinced Jungkook that they were the real Jim and Pam.

Sometimes they even discussed politics. They found that they had common ground here. They were both considered to be independent. Most people assumed that Taehyung (off the island) was conservative because he was so wealthy. But he was the opposite. He didn't mind paying taxes. He followed the law and since he was Catholic, he was big on charity. So he was ok paying taxes for the greater good as long as everyone paid their fair share.

Taehyung heard rich people hurl the idea "well people don't need handouts." He always responded, "but the hurting can still use a help-up." Like the Red Cross used to emphasize, sometimes you have to feed the greedy to reach the needy. His political stance on public aid was we all needed to focus on who's needing the help and get it to them. And as a second priority, use policy to give and serve in a more proficient manner. Taehyung was the type to put people over policy and compassion over the country. That's the way his parents taught him. So he tended to vote for candidates who exemplified qualities that tended toward compassion. So did Jungkook.