Chapter Fifty Two

Start from the beginning

Noel rolled her eyes and huffed out an annoyed breath. This whole thing was getting out of hand, she didn't know how Harry had the patience to keep from snapping at them.

Somebody had moved close behind them among the dark bookshelves. They waited, and a moment later the vulture-like countenance of Madam Pince appeared around the corner, her sunken cheeks, her skin like parchment, and her long hooked nose illuminated unflatteringly by the lamp she was carrying.

"The library is now closed," she said. "Mind you return anything you have borrowed to the correct — what have you been doing to that book, you depraved boy?"

"It isn't the library's, it's mine!" said Harry hastily, snatching his copy of Advanced Potion-Making off the table as she lunged at it with a claw-like hand.

"Despoiled!" she hissed. "Desecrated! Befouled!"

"It's just a book that's been written on!" said Harry, tugging it out of her grip.

She looked as though she might have a seizure; Hermione, who had hastily packed her things, while Noel grabbed Harry by the arm, making their way outside.

"She'll ban you from the library if you're not careful. Why did you have to bring that stupid book?"

"It's not my fault she's barking mad, Hermione. Or d'you think she overheard you being rude about Filch? I've always thought there might be something going on between them...."

The following day, Noel woke up, got dressed, and waited for Luna like every morning so they could eat breakfast together.

"Happy Birthday, Noel." Was the first thing Luna said when she walked down the stairs. Unceremoniously, she dug through her bag and retracted a squished parcel that was wrapped in pretty navy colored paper. "Here you go! It's kind of squished, sorry."

Noel took it gratefully and opened it so Luna could see her reaction. It was a book, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit. Noel clutched the book to her chest, "Luna! I've been wanting this since forever, oh my god! I love it!" Noel said excitedly, hugging her tightly.

The two walked out the common room, Luna was catching her up on the latest news in the Quibbler. The two sat next to each other as they served themselves breakfast. Noel was going through a phase, only eating toast phase. This was her second week in a row that she ate toast with marmalade spread and it was seriously starting to concern her. Nonetheless, she enjoyed her toast, humming happily to Luna who was now talking about what career she wanted.

Half-way through breakfast the Great Hall was starting to fill up with chatting students, a few of her classmates passed by and wished her a happy birthday. She was even smothered by Lucy who had come running over, giving her a tight hug and a small bouquet of wildflowers, where she got them from didn't concern Noel. She thanked the little girl and fixed her up a plate. Lucy dug in gracefully. Then it was Theo who had come over as well and sat across from her.

"Happy birthday, Grandma, feeling old yet?"

"Ha ha, very charming." Noel rolled her eyes, "I'm in official adult Teddy, you jealous?"

"The only thing I'm jealous of is the fact that you don't have to actually work for chores." Theo rolled her eyes.

"If you're nice to me, I might give you a helping hand," Noel raised an eyebrow, twirling her wand in between her fingers.

"You're a filthy liar, you and I both know you love to watch me struggle."

"It's funny." Noel shrugged.

Theo sighed and dug through his pocket, "Here," he threw her a small box, Noel caught it feebly, she gasped and took the pendent out. "A hummingbird, you love me." Noel beamed putting on the necklace, laying next to her locket Harry had given her last year.