Memory

Kunikidas pov

When I came home I announced myself but instead of getting my normal energetic "welcome back" hug I simply got a lazy. "Ok".

Fear struck my heart when he said that. Him having a lazy tone normally means he's pissed about something.

I nervously looked into the living room where he was just to see him laying on the floor staring at the ceiling.

"Um are you ok? What are you doing on the floor"?

"Yea I'm ok and I'm waiting for the ground to open up and swallow me whole".

"Umm ok you have fun with that". I said as I went to the kitchen to get dinner ready.

"Hey kunikida"? I heard dazai call from his spot on the floor.

"If you ask me to make you crab I'm going to scream and I'd rather not subject you to that so choose your next words wisely ".

"But I don't want crab for dinner". I whip my head around to see dazai standing in the doorway with a pout.

The dazai osamu DOSNT want crab for dinner?

Is the world ending?

What next he brings home a dog begging me to keep it for reasons that don't involve tormenting Chuuya.

I walk over to him putting my hand over his forehead checking his temperature. "Are you feeling ok ? Should I call yasano"?

"No I feel fine".

"You don't smell like alcohol ".

"I didn't drink".

"I'm going to go buy a breathalyzer".

Dazai grabbed my hands and looked me in the eyes. "Kunikida really I'm ok. I'm not drunk or high or sick. I just wanted to ask if you could make sandwiches so we could eat outside to stargaze"?

I sighed and shook my head. "Dazai you know we have work tomorrow. We really don't have the time".

"Then let's make the time"! He held my hands tighter and looked at the floor. "Please kunikida? I need this"?

I sighed again before pulling his face up and planting a gentle kiss to his lips. "Ok but only for a little bit".

Dazai gave a small smile and nodded. "Thank you".

So I made sandwiches and we went out onto the roof to watch the stars. I don't know why he wanted to do this so badly but I hoped he would tell me eventually.

We rested on the roof with me holding him on my lap and his back pressed to my chest. I saw a look of sadness in his eyes. Almost longing like.

"You hungry"? I picked up a sandwich and held it to him but he shook his head.

"No I just want to watch".

I nodded then rested my head against his. I felt his cold, soft hair brush against my face and his sent filled my nose.

"Kunikida can you promise me something"? He spoke up but his voice seemed to waver.

"What is it"?

"Can you promise me to never leave both from death or in general ".

I pulled my head away from his and he turned to look at me. "Whats bringing this on osamu"? He shrugged and rested his hand against my chest to feel my heartbeat.

"I just want you to promise not to leave. I can't stand the thought of you leaving me behind. Please promise"?

He begged me to promise still confusing me because of his strange behavior. I placed my hand over his and rested my forehead against his.

"I can't promise I won't die someday because that will happen and there is no avoiding it but I will try my best to stay alive as well as never leave you. Please don't worry I will always be here with you".

Dazai sighed and closed his eyes then moved his head to my shoulder as I patted his back. "Thank you" he mumbled and I nodded."thank you I really needed this".

I pressed a kiss to his temple then we sat and watched the stars.