𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 ⁰⁰⁵ : 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲

CHAPTER ⁰⁰⁵ : the heart of the body

HUENING KAI

When I got back to my senses, I found myself in a playground. The playground was familiar... it was in our locality. There I saw two children on the swing, swaying dolefully. I recognized them right away. Soobin and I sat side by side.

"Nobody's coming?" I saw younger version of myself, around eleven or something, ask Soobin hopefully but Soobin had a grim expression on his face.

"I don't know. I called them but I guess no one's coming as a person can't be late for three hours," He said with an annoyed tone. Three hours...

"The sun's about to set. We should go home," Soobin said.

"Hey, I am sure they have reasons."

"Kai, I don't know if you see it or not, but everything's falling apart. Taehyun doesn't like to talk to us anymore. After Yeonjun left, he has barely even flashed a smile at me. And Beomgyu obviously likes his popular friends more than us. I don't even know what the hell is going on with Cherry and Chaewon. They always hang out together without telling us. I am just..."

I saw the pressure on the young Kai. I was a nice comforter, I was sure of it. But at that time, Soobin didn't need comforting... I did. Because the next thing I did was as shocking to Soobin as it was for present me.

Kai looked down and said in a breaking voice, "You're right."

"Hyuka... are you crying?" Soobin's eyes widened. I never in my entire life cried in front of my friends. I was usually strong spirited and always smiled. I didn't even have to force happiness upon myself because that was how I was. I was always positive.

I rarely cried, especially in front of some other person. I hated seeing myself hurt.

"Y-You are r-right. Everything's a c-complete mess. I don't know what to do, hyung. I don't want to l-leave you. I j-just want everything to go b-back how it was. I m-miss him. I miss Yeonjun so much," Kai spoke between his sobs and I could see Soobin tearing up a bit. He hugged Kai and said, "You won't leave me. We will get back together. We promised, remember? We are a family."

"But hyung."

"Yes?"

"I called everyone to say something important."

"What is it?"

"I am... moving back to Hawaii," Kai said, still not meeting Soobin's eyes. It followed up with a long silence.

What was going wrong? I thought. Why couldn't we just be normal friends and be happy? Why couldn't we stay together? Was fate always this cruel with people who loved each other? Do people really have to part in the end?

"W-When will you come back?" Soobin asked.

"I have no idea," Kai replied wiping off his tears. "But I am okay. I will be fine, I guess. I am... worried. About you. Can you get in touch with the others before I go? Can't we fix everything before I leave?"

"Nothing's going to fix, Kai. You don't need to worry about it though. I'll be... fine."

"But you'll be alone."

"Everyone's alone in the end."

There was a moment of silence again. The air was sweet and fresh but nothing about the time was.

"We should head home. It's getting late."

"Hyung," Kai started. "One day, we all will meet and everything will be the way it was before. All of us will be a family again."

"I'll wait," Soobin smiled. "It's not your fault. Neither it was Yeonjun's. That's how life works. But I am sure one day we will come back together. And I will wait for it."

Kai smiled as well at the thought of them being back together again.

It was not a big deal for a grown up to understand our relationship with each other. But young Kai knew they were more than just friends. They were his lifeline. The people he could cry with, laugh with, grow up with, experience craziest adventures and share all his moments and memories. His life felt complete that way. They felt like home.