49 || Escape Plan

Start from the beginning

•••

My sleep felt short and uncomfortable, I felt scared of closing my eyes. But even more so, I found it difficult to wake up.

Panic struck in as I tried to wake up, my eyes seemingly still sleepy and body frozen. Was this it? Was this how I died?

I jerked up the bed, gaining the attention of everyone. My mom rushed to me, holding me in her arms.

"I need to see Maddie," I demanded.

"Not yet," my mom retorted. "You can't leave, we'll try calling her."

"We've tried calling, she's not answering my calls," Jessica said.

"Me neither," chimed Justin and by the looks on the others face, I could guess the same.

"If the worst comes, I'll go get her myself this weekend," my mom finally said.

That was way too long.

"I'll go get you something to drink," my mom said, exiting the room.

"Soo… what now?" Devin asked.

I looked over at Alex. "Can I borrow your phone?"

He gave it to me and I dialed Maddie's number.

Ring!...

Ring!...

Ring!...

"Hey this is Maddison, I'm currently not available but please leave a message, I'd probably get back to it… hopefully!"

Hearing her voice, even though an automated one, left my stomach churning.

"Maddie, it's Ashton, call me back... I need you!"

I sighed, handing the phone back to Alex who stated, "I'd be surprised if she even looks at her phone."

To both our surprise, his phone began to ring. We all looked at it in simultaneous shock as Alex handed it over to me.

"Ashton?" Her voice was soft, in utter disbelief as she called my name.

"Maddie!" I called. "Maddie, where are you?"

"You're alive," she cried. I could hear a voice mumbling in the background, that of another girl who seemed to have just woken up by the grogginess of her voice. "Who's that?" She mumbled

"Maddie, I need to see you… where are you?"

"I'm at home," she stated, confused. "I don't think I'd be able to make it there tonight.

Sh*t!

"I'll be there first thing tomorrow–"

"No!... Please Maddie, I need you right now," I begged. "Do you remember our first kiss?"

"First what?" The girl in the background mumbled excitedly. Maddie immediately shushed her.

"Yeah," she said.

"Can you make it there… by four?" I asked.

"Yeah, I should be able to…"

"I'll come to you." I said.

"What!" Angie, Jessica and Alex yelled simultaneously.

I immediately ended the call

"I've got to get to Maddie," I said, determined. "Wether you guys help me or not."

I got up the bed, making my way to the door but both Alex and Devin intercepted, standing in my way.

"Move!"