32 || Inner Child

Chapter 32: Inner Child

I needed to get some air…

As soon as I left the study, I went to my room and changed before borrowing one of Karla's cars and driving off without a word.

The beach was silent, with only a few people around. I sat, letting the cool breeze caress my face, blowing through my hair. I watched as the waves rose and crashed, the water skiing to my toes.

As much as I tried to not think about Mr Malik's words, I found them resurfacing in my mind.

You're a bad influence on him

Mr Malik hated me Andi thought I knew why. I was different, I wasn't the pretty models he was used to seeing Ashton around, I was a threat to him because Ashton wasn't going according to the fixed life he'd planned out. He was living vicariously through his son and I was not in the picture.

You know what they say. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

I didn't know what to do, how to feel. Was I supposed to be sad or angry? Was I supposed to be yelling at the top of my voice? Or was I supposed to bounce right back like I wasn't hurt?

But I was, I was really hurt.

I stared at the waters silently before I felt a gentle nudge on my head. I turned to find a beach ball.

Two kids rushed to me, one a bit not older than twelve, reddish brown hair, a dust of freckles on his chubby cheeks. The other a more familiar face.

It was the little girl I'd met last year, the one who I almost died for trying to recover her beach ball.

"Bweach bwall gurl." She giggled, rushing to me and hugging me.

"Hi, how are you?" I smiled when though that was the last thing I wanted to do at the moment. "Do you live around?"

She nodded. "Yeah, my brother and I always come here after school." She gestured to the boy. "His name's Avon."

"Hi Avon," I greeted.

"It's Aaron," he cried, almost throwing a fit which was adorable.

"What's your name?" I asked the girl.

"Elle." she giggled as she took my hand, dragging me asking with her. "What you doing here?"

I shrugged. "Just visiting."

"Great!"

Aaron and Elle led me to a group of three other kids, all sat on the sand, playing. Elle handed me a bucket.

"My mummy won't allow us to near the water, she says a girl called moron nearly died there."

Well, that's me.

"Can you help us get some water to build our same castle?" Aaron finished.

"Umm… I'm not the best in water," I said nervously.

"Pwease," Elle begged, soon the rest of the kids followed.

I finally agreed. I know, dumb idea but don't judge me, anyone would do the same, they were just too adorable.

I made sure to stay at the shoreline, fetching the bucket once the waves crashed.

I made my way back to the group who were ecstatic.

"Come play with us," Elle offered.

I didn't want to, I wanted to get back to sulking about how terrible my life was but maybe this was just what I needed, to let loose and just have a little fun, even if it was with a group of kids.