7 || Deserve The World

Chapter 7: Deserve The World

"Dale got expelled."

I didn't want to believe it. Yes, he'd drugged me at the bar but Dale had been the one to confess, he and Jessica had tried to help prove my innocence.

It only made sense they'd throw the blame on him, I'd gotten to know more about Dale, he was the oldest of four children, his mom was barely able to feed his siblings, it was no wonder he happily accepted the cash Joey had offered.

But Dale wasn't a bad guy, he didn't watch as I got accused for what I didn't do.

He also was the easiest target to blame and the school knew it, he wasn't some rich, strong athlete who earned the school millions, he was a scrawny guy living by on his student loans and the income he earned from the bar.

I'd skipped my class after school, I had only one question and I knew who could answer it, Ashton.

•••

Pounding on Ashton's place at the time wasn't ideal, it was one of  arrangements, I couldn't come by his place anymore, not when his dad could easily visit.

But I didn't want this to wait, it couldn't.

The door swung open, Justin standing inside. "Maddie, I've missed you." He pulled me into a hug, patting my back.

"I once went to the canteen and order a mcflurry, really reminded me of you." He laughed.

I nudged him, holding my stern expression as I buried my laughter. "Where's Ashton?"

"Training," Alex, who'd appeared from nowhere replied. "Oh Mindy, I've missed you."

It's Maddie but close.

"Really?"

"Nope," he said, popping the p as he smiled. "Now I have to deal with both you and Justin."

"Just say you love us, Alex baby." Justin patted his cheeks.

"I'll be downstairs," I said, leaving both boys to make my way to Ashton.

Even before I reached down, I could hear the thuds as fists pounded against the punching bag, a stern voice that belonged to someone else yelling combos. "1, 2, 5, 2"

"Excuse me," I interrupted. A man in tracksuit stood in the ring beside Ashton, a clipboard in hand as he watched Ashton pound against the punching bag.

"You shouldn’t be here," the man said. "Leave."

"She's a friend," Ashton cut, sweat dripping down his exposed torso, he wore black gloves and matching sweatpants, a small smile on his lips as he exited the ring, making his way to me.

"What's the matter, babe?" He asked once we were out the man's range. The word babe sent tingles down my spine, I wanted to laugh at the thought, to kiss him.

But that wasn't why I was here.

"Can we talk?" I asked, trying to maintain a serious face even though the mixture of sweat and cologne was a major temptation.

"Right now?" He asked. "Can we do this later? I'm kinda in the middle of something?"

“Ashton please… it's important."

He searched my face with concern, nodding as he turned to the older man who I suppose was his coach. "Can we take five?"

"Ashton, you have your first match this week to train for," his coach said.

"And I'm paying you to do that not stress me… I need a break."

The man who seemed visibly annoyed nodded, walking out the ring and upstairs. Leaving only Ashton and I.

Ashton's eyes met mine, those sea blue orbs which froze me to my core.

"Did you know?" I asked.

Wiping his face with a towel, he turned to me. "Know what?"

"They expelled Dale… did you know?"

Ashton sighed. "Maddie, we can talk about this some othe–"

"Ashton please," I cut. "Just tell me, did you know?"

Ashton drew in a sharp breath, wrapping the towel over his shoulder. "Yeah… I've known for a while now."

I didn't want to believe Ashton hadn't told me about this, didn't he think I needed to know.

"Why… why didn't you do anything?" I asked.

"Because he deserved it," he shot, his words catching me off guard. "Maddie, he'd drugged you, he deserved whatever he got."

I stood, stunned for a second as Ashton's eyes met mine. He stepped closer to me.

"He'd agreed to put you in this mess, he'd hurt you." Ashtons voice was low and reassuring as he pulled me closer, his eyes filled with concern.

"What if you're right? What if he deserved to be punished for his actions… but not like this… not when Joey goes scot free for his crimes," I said.

Ashton frowned, his face filled with pure resentment as he took off his gloves, rubbing his knuckles. "Trust me, when I'm done with him, he'd wish he was expelled."

I stepped back, scrunching my brows, Ashton was almost unreadable.

"Ashton, what're you thinking?"

"He signed up for the tournament… And there's no f*cking way I'm going to allow him go after what he did to you."

I didn't want to see Ashton hurt, chasing a vendetta on my behalf. "Ashton, you don't have to…"

"Yes I do," he cut in. "He'd hurt you, you'd worked harder than he ever could to get that scholarship and he'd tried to snatch it from you…"

I drew in a shaky breath, Ashton was inches before me right now, his breath caressing my face. "I'm tired of seeing you get walked over, Maddie… you're so kind, it's one of the things I love about you but it lets assholes like Joey hurt you…"

He took my hand, pulling me closer to him. "... And I'm tired of seeing you get hurt...”

Ashton hugged me, placing a brief kiss on my hair as he did. He didn't care anyone could walk in on us, he didn't care if his father found I'd been here, he just held me like he needed me. Like we both need eachother

"... Because you deserve the world, Maddison Maurice."

I felt total comfort in his embrace, letting his strong arms nestle me. I was tired of being the girl stuck in self-pity and victimisation.

I did deserve the world.