12 || Single Heartthrob

Chapter 12: Single Heartthrob

I'd barely been able to get any sleep from last night, I'd been woken to the sound of Jessica's blow-dryer and Angie's chaotic cooking.

"Someone seems to have had a goodnight rest," Jessica laughed, applying a pink lipgloss to her lips as she stared into the mirror.

"Barely." I scoffed, rolling on the floor I'd slept off on. "Why're you two so up early."

"Maddie, classes for the semester begins today," Angie said with a duh expression.

"Oh yeah, almost forgot." I yawned. I was amazed at the amount of energy these two had after a night of drinking, they weren't human, I'm telling you. I could barely even stand when I woke up each morning. Like I said, I wasn't a morning person.

I grabbed my phone, looking into my schedule.

"Shit! I've got Ms Mather's Electric Circuit first" I sighed, I was already ten minutes late.

"Ms who? Wasn't she the asshole against you at the panel?" Angie retorted.

"More like Karen," Jess chimed in.

"I'd really love to stay and talk but Mrs Mathers would kill me," I said, scurrying for my room.

•••

Days had past and I'd barely seen Ashton, between excessive senior year classes, frequent training for his upcoming match tomorrow and an overbearing dad who was keeping a keen eye on him, we'd barely even crossed paths.

I smiled, staring down at the text I'd gotten from him five minutes ago.

Ashton: at your place tonight, seven?

Maddie: perfect!

He'd planned to give a last minute excuse in order the miss the party after the match, Alex and Justin had promised to back him up.

"Maddison! Are you paying attention?" Mr Pipeson yelled, pulling my attention back to him.

"Sorry." I gave a nervous smile as I chucked back my phone into my back pocket.

He rolled his eyes. "I know you're going through a breakup and but do you think I pay you to sit around all day doing nothing?"

"Well sir, as at last semester, that was exactly what you were paying us to do," I replied with an uneasy smile, getting a scowl from him and a resounding laugh from Jessica.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

"Don't play smart with me young lady... now get over there and help that customer out."

Jessica and I immediately made our way to a blonde named Betty, she'd become a regular here ever since last semester.

To be quite frank, a lot of girls had become frequents when Ashton and I had gotten together, done has left after our "breakup" but a handful had gotten used to this gym.

"Are you good, Betty?" I asked.

Betty, who was barely able to lift a single dumbbell (honestly, same), had begun wheezing and sweating.

"No I'm good, I'm totally fine," she said.

"You sure?"

She nodded. "Mattie, I was wondering, now you and Ashton aren't a thing anymore, you won't mind if I... You know, shot my shot?"

I couldn't help but feel something when she said that, I knew she didn't mean any harm, it was just a genuine question but if never really thought it the facts. In the eyes of everyone, Ashton was single and probably back in the playboy game.