20 || Jeans

Chapter 20: Jeans

“OH MY GOD!” Jess squealed, staring at a nice white lace bra. “We’ve got to get this, it would go so well on me.”

She stared at me with puppy eyes and an innocent look.

“Fine.” I groaned. “I guess I can lend you some more money for the fifth time today.”

“Thanks Maddie, you’re such a life saver,” she smiled and turned to the next set of clothes she was planning on buying.

What had first started out as a simple wardrobe makeup for me had turned into a complete shopping spree for Jessica… With my money of course.

I could already feel my wallet crying.

“Guys, check this out.” Angie came with a nice leather purse, a small strap attached to it. “Isn’t it cute? I think this would be perfect for my- I mean Maddie.” She handed it to me with what I could call a bitter smile at most. “I will borrow it every Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays though,” she added.

“Sure!” I sighed. “So did you guys actually find anything for just me?”

“Oh! We were shopping for her, I almost forgot.” Jessica gave an uneasy laugh as she slipped the numerous shopping bags she’d collected behind her guiltily.

“Okay fine, we promise, this time no distractions.” Angie threw an arm on my shoulder as we made our way to the Lingerie section.

I wasn’t a picky person when it came to underwear, I usually just picked whatever fit me (and my pocket) the best and went on with my day. Jessica smiled as she picked out one.

“What do you think?” It was a red laced thong. I’d already told the girls my sizes so she specifically picked this since it was a fit.

“I don’t know Jess, it’s not my thing, I don’t think it’ll look good on m-“

“Hey, what did we tell you?” Angie held me, making sure I faced her.

“I know but can’t we just go for something more… I don’t know, safe?”

“There’s no risk in safe, Maddie,” Jessica chimed.

That was easy for her to say, she looked like a IMG model even on a bad hair day. I sighed. “Fine… But regular bras next.”

They both smiled, giving themselves high fives in congratulations of convincing me. I hadn’t tried wearing a thong, I probably would look like a clown.

“Confidence within and without,” I mumbled to myself in a single breath.

•••

“Try it out,” Jess and Angie urged.

“I don’t know guys… it looks kinda… small.” I stared with scrutiny at the ripped skinny jeans Angie had gotten me, she’d been absolutely sure it was going to look great with the purse from earlier. Only problem was, the only one available was a size smaller than me.

I threw my gaze to the already frustrated staff who’d been asked to take us around for recommendations. She frowned.

“Are you guys sure you don’t a bigger siz-“

“No!” she cut with a frustrated grunt. To be fair, she’d had to listen to Jess and Angie argue for thirty minutes if they thought a nice crop top or oversized cardigan would fit my body… They didn’t choose any.

I gave an uneasy smile. I had no intentions on telling her to check the back, from the look on her face, she’d had a long day.

“Ma’am, you don’t have to buy it,” she said. “I’m sure someone with a more…” her eyes trailed my shape- “Fitting body would take it.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Angie shot.

“Are you implying something?” Jess added.

“Guys, its fine,” I said to them then turned to the staff with a small smile as I could muster. “I’ll take it.”

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever… the store closes in twenty minutes so wrap this sh*t show up,” she said nonchalantly and made her way back to the registry.

I could feel nothing but embarrassment. My eyes met Jess’s and I quickly looked away. I knew what she was going to say.

Yet again, I’d let myself be walked over, I’d let myself been seen through the lens of what was conventionally attractive. I know.

I stared down at the jeans, grabbed them and turned to the changing room, knowing Jess and Angie were still staring at me.

I slipped out my skirt, grabbed the jeans, staring at it for a moment.

“Here goes nothing Maddie, just suck in your stomach or something,” I said to myself before putting one leg in and then the other.

Sh*t!

Just like I guessed, it wasn’t a fit. I tried buttoning it up it couldn’t reach. I drew in a breath, dragging the button once more but only managing to squeeze all the breath out my lungs.

Okay, maybe this wasn’t the best idea.

I couldn’t help but yell in frustration by the third try. This was going nowhere. I sighed.

“Announcement to all our lovely customers…” I heard the voice of a staff through the intercom. “The store would be closing in the next fifteen minutes, thank you for shopping with us.”

Maybe it wasn’t too late to return the jeans, I wondered.

I’m sure someone with a more fitting body would take it, the words of the staff resurfaced in my mind. She was probably going to burst into a massive feat of laughter once she saw me return it. I could already here the “I told you so” from miles away.

No, I wasn’t going to give her that satisfaction. Neither was I going to be defeated by a pair of plain ripped jean, I was a strong, sharp minded woman.

With that bit of encouragement, I stood, mustering all the energy I had left to pull as much as I could, yelling as I did.

“puullll..” I paused for a quick pant and immediately continued. “Pulll.”

“Maddie, are you okay in there?” Jess asked from outside the door.

“Yeah, its all good in here.”

Riip!

I gasped when I heard the sound of cloth ripping, my heart already beating four times faster.

Right at my butt stood a freaking gigantic gash the size of Texas on the jeans. Even super glue could hardly fix this. What had I done?

“Forget what I said jess, everything’s a disaster right now.”

And that’s how I ended up paying for a pair of jeans I never even got a chance to wear.

My poor wallet.

•••

Haha! I’m glad I got to write this, it’s been in my mind for a while.

Little update, I got a job and it’s been leaving me with little to no time to write, I guess I’ll go back to writing on my phone, that’ll probably help maximize what little time I have.

Anyway, how’s your day going? Please vote if you enjoyed the chapter. See you in the next.

-Thea