18 || Prove Them Wrong

Chapter 18: Prove Them Wrong

“Maddie, seriously, this would really help you,” Angie said as we walked out the elevator, I making my way to my microbiology lecture while Angie to her Literature, still trying to convince me her and Jessica’s plan was genius.

“Angie, it’s not about your plan, I’m just not built for the gym, I could barely do a squat.”

Angie laughed, immediately taking a serious expression when I frowned. “Okay, but seriously, you’ll never be comfortable with yourself if you don’t try to improve yourself.”

I knew she was right, but I just didn’t see myself as athletic type… And that definitely didn’t have anything to do with the give packs of Oreos currently started in my cupboard.

It definitely didn’t…

Okay maybe it did.

I looked down at my schedule, I had my microbiology lecture in hall 7. I sighed.

Without looking, I bumped into someone, nearly falling but quickly regaining my balance as I looked up to find Veronica.

You know, Veronica, as in Joey Malcom’s girl and absolute prude. Kelsie standing right beside her. They both stared with disdain.

“Sorry,” I apologized and immediately picked the schedule I’d dropped.

“Watch it Maurice or whatever,” Kelsie shot.

Veronica snickered. “Yeah, do you need glasses?”

“Yes, I totally agree with them Maddie.” Angie said sarcastically, a smile on her lips. I knew that look, it was one Angie put on when she was about to get passive aggressive. “… I mean, didn’t you see “two self-absorbed pick me girls, stay clear” written all over their foreheads? It’s pretty difficult to miss.”

They both turned to Angie. “What did you call us?” Veronica raged.

“Angie, we should probably leave. This isn’t your fight,” I pleaded, sensing what was about to happen.

“Actually it is, I’m so tired of these two walking headaches in their hand me down extensions and makeup they got from the Walmart,” Angie said, not backing down. Instead, walking closer to veronica and Kelsie.

“Okay, that’s it, I’m calling campus security,” Kelsie barked, pulling out her phone.

“B*tch, you don’t scare me. Call the cops for all I care… Oh! And tell them the name’s Angela Chika.” She winked.

Kelsie stared, biting down on her lips as Angie pushed right though both girls, her middle finger on display. I quietly followed.

“Angie, I don’t think that was the best move,” I said to Angie once we were a safe distance away

“Those two girls are trouble, you know what they did last semester.”

“Oh please Maddie, I've seen worse… if they’re going to use the security as their own personal bodyguards just because they thought that would make me feel threatened, they can kiss my ass.”

•••

I’d gotten to my biochemistry class ten minutes late, the hall already full while the professor had already began his lecture.

My eyes roamed for a free seat.

Oh! There’s one right there.

I found Veronica and Kelsie right beside said free seat, both staring at me with burning rage.

Maybe not.

“Maddie!”

I looked up to find Paul gesturing to an empty seat right beside him, waving. I smiled as I made my way to him, taking the seat.

“Hey,” he greeted.

“Hey! Haven’t seen you around,” I said, grabbing out my laptop from my bag.

He casually scratched the back of his neck, a small tint of pink on his cheeks. “Yeah, I’ve been a bit busy.”

I raised a brow, confused. Then I realised, that had been the same look he’d had when he’d been crushing on me.

“Who’re they?” I jumped straight into the question, intrigued.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” He said, even more flustered than before.

“Liar!” I laughed as I bumped him on the shoulder.

“Fine, I’ve been seeing someone, Stacy…”

My eyes lit with excitement. “Stacy the librarian?” I asked and he nodded.

“I should thank you actually… After I told you how I felt, Stacy was there for me during the tough time, she kept calling and even bought me flowers to cheer me up, one thing led to another and now we’re dating,” he explained.

I wanted to scream. I pulled him into a hug, laughing. “I’m so happy for you, Paul.”

He deserved to be happy, I hadn’t been there for him when he was hurting, I knew keeping a distance after breaking his heart was best but now, in was glad he found someone who was just right for him.

I turned to the professor, trying to quickly take as much notes as I’d missed. I could feel the gazes of Veronica and Kelsie’s on me, both murmuring.

“I can’t imagine she ever dated Ashton,” Veronica mumbled. “She must think she’s hot shit.”

“I know right, she looks like an ogre that got knocked up by a bus at best.”

I could feel a mix of emotions swelling up inside me as I heard them speak, their eyes still fixed on me. They wanted me angry, they wanted me to lash out but I wasn’t

In fact, I was going to prove them wrong…

I grabbed my phone and sent a text our roommate group chat.

Maddie: guys, does your offer still stand…

Angie: YEP

Jessica: trust me Maddie, once were done, you’d feel more confident than you’ve ever felt.

I drew in a shaky breath as I typed.

Maddie: I’m in.

I was going to prove this goddamn school wrong.

•••

Firstly, if anyone was wondering who Stacy is, she made her appearance in chpt 10 of Bruises when Paul and Maddie were completing their project.

Secondly, I could write a whole page on the “Makeover” trope in romance stories but I’d like to keep it simple by saying they can be good when done well (not guaranteeing I'll go it well or not cause that's subjective to each reader). What’re your opinions on the trope though?

Btw, this is a casual reminder to vote.

Bye
-Thea