42 || A Horrid Reality

Chapter 42 : A Horrid Reality

The whole place was bubbling with energy, I could hardly make my way through the crowd.

I managed to squeeze through, my eyes searching for a seat as I did.

"Maddie?"

I looked over to find the group, Justin, Alex, Angie and Jessica.

"Maddie, where have you been? Haven't seen you all day," Jessica said.

"Yeah… I was a little busy," I casually answered. Well, you could classify my dad almost dying, my boyfriend who I'd almost broken up with punching his dad as "a little busy."

"Where's Ashton?" Angie asked.

"At the back, we just got here," I explained.

I looked over to Jessica who seemed weirdly nervous. That was to be expected though, this was the match of both Ashton and Devin's lives.

I pushed back that thought as the boys escorted is to a row of free seats.

The host stepped into the ring, a mic in hand.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome…to the finale of the Black Spinel Tournament…"

The whole crowd cheered, popcorn spraying the the air and yells vibrating through the whole place.

"Today, we make history," the host continued. "One of these two promising boxers would be walking away with the grand price and a legacy built, and the other would be left with nothing…"

I couldn't help but grimace at that last statement, it was so uncomfortable, I couldn't wish that for anyone.

"It is my honour to introduce today's final contestants– although they hardly need any introductions– please welcome, Stanford University honourable fighter, Devin Laschester."

The crowd erupted in a rally of claps and applauds. Devin made his way to the ring, his blonde hair tied at the back, blue gloved fists at his side with a huge grin on his face. He stepped onto the ring, waving to the crowd.

"And his opponent," the host continued, "Son of UFC champion, leading fighter at Prinscott university…

… ASHTON MALIK!"

His name was thunderous, sending the audience into a frenzy of claps, screams and whistles as Ashton's walked out.

He held himself with so much charisma, slow strides as he made his way to the ring, audiences bellowing to touch the boxer.

But I could see past the charisma, the look in my boyfriend's eyes were almost hollow, his grins nothing but a mask.

Fear slowly trickled down my face as the two boxers stood face to face in the ring, taking their stances as the host called out.

"3…

…2"

I could see the boys talking, probably edging on one another, but I couldn't make out what they were saying over the cries of the audience.

I silently gripped unto my necklace, the gift Ashton had given me as I mumbled a silent prayer underneath my breath.

"Ashton please don't die!"

"...1"

The match began…

For a short second, both boys just stood there, staring at one another, wondering who'd throw the first blow, but they immediately recovered, charging at one another.