Sand Castles

Langa stared out into the grey water. It splashed against the lighter grey of the shore, splattering on Langa's feet. He felt the chilly wind through his hair as his fingers dug in the sand. He was building a sand castle and he didn't even know it. His mind was too focused on the colorless waves, wishing he could see their color. Wishing he knew his soulmate. Wishing Reki was gay.

     The truth was...Langa could feel himself sinking again. Just like he had when his dad died. He had been swarmed with thoughts that no one loved him, and that no one ever would. His mom had been there to help him through it all, but she wasn't here right now, and Langa desperately needed her.

      He wanted to run to her crying, asking her what to do. Asking her if he should just give up, asking her how to give up. Because he couldn't. He could never give up on Reki, no matter how much it hurt him. Reki still lingered in his heart throughout every passing day.

     His heart, his heart that was breaking piece by piece. It constricted in his chest with panic. Panic that Langa would be alone forever. That Langa would never find his other half. That Langa would lose Reki. It was too much to bear.

      At that moment, Langa felt sand splatter in his face, he quickly brushed it away wondering what happened. He looked down to see a volley ball in front of him. Sadly, it had smashed his perfect sand castle. Langa frowned. He felt as if the sand castle symbolized his heart.

      "Sorry about that!" A voice called beside him. Langa quickly looked up to lock eyes with amber. His heart began to race. Then he realized he wasn't staring at the steady brown/amber eyes of his best friend. No, this was a complete stranger, staring at him with intrigue, a smile growing on his face.

     "Uh...hey!" The boy with the amber eyes blurted, picking up the volleyball, still locking eyes with Langa.

"Uh...hi," breathed Langa, shyly. Langa was always shy around people he didn't know.

"Sorry, sorry, it's just your eyes...there so blue! I can't stop staring!" The boy admitted, figeditng with the volleyball.

       "Oh! You can see them?" Asked Langa, intrigued. The boy quickly nodded.

       "Yeah!" He gushed, excitedly.

        "Hey Mark! Are you gonna play or not? Throw back the ball already!" A girl called from the distance. The boy flipped his head around, and threw back the ball, then turned his attention back to Langa.

       "Mind if I sit down?" Asked the boy. Langa nodded, unsure of what was happening.

      "I'm Mark," said the boy, joining Langa, next to his squished sand castle. Langa smiled hesitantly.

     "I'm Langa," Langa replied. Mark grinned.

     "It's really nice to meet you, so are you from around here?" Mark asked. Langa shook his head.

     "I'm from Okinawa, but before that...Canada," Langa answered. Mark's eyes lit up.

      "No way! Your Canadian?! That's so cool! I'm American!" Mark grinned. Langa smiled some more.

      "That's really cool," said Langa, beginning to feel more comfortable.

     "Sorry again, I just...your eyes pop so much. Blue's my soulmate color," Mark explained, scratching the back of his neck.

     "No I get it! Actually, I can see your eyes too! There brownish," Langa told Mark, causing Mark to grin more.

     "Really? You can?" Mark asked. Langa nodded.

     "That's awesome!" Mark yelled, he then glanced at Langa's squished sand castle and looked back up to the blue haired boy.

      "Sorry about the sand castle by the way," Mark chuckled, nervously. Langa grinned.

     "No, it's fine. Don't sweat it," he reassured. Mark grinned more.

"Cool. So uh...how long have you been able to see your soulmate color?" Asked Mark.

"Oh, a few months now I guess. What about you?" questioned Langa.

"A couple years," Mark told Langa, waving a hand through his brown hair.

"Have you had any luck?" Wondered Langa, quirking his head. Mark shook his.

"No, not yet...but hey! Maybe my luck is changing!" Mark confessed, giving Langa a wink. Langa felt his face grow warm. Was Mark hitting on him?

"Maybe," Langa told Mark, a small, shy smile forming on his face. Mark beamed.

"What about you? Have you had any luck?" Mark asked. Langa wondered. Had he? At least he could see two colors, that was something.

"I guess. I can see two colors," Langa shrugged. Mark's eyes grew wide.

"You can see two colors!? That's so cool! No fair! Since when!?" Mark asked, astounded. Langa chuckled.

"Since 3:42am," said Langa. Marks eyebrows went up in intrigue.

"No way! That's crazy! Hey! Maybe that means something! Maybe...maybe it was destiny we met!" Concluded Mark. Langa's eyes went wide.

"Are you saying you think we're soulmates?" Asked Langa. Mark blushed.

"Well...I mean, just suggesting. Sorry though! If your straight, and weirded out! I can leave!" Yelled Mark, beginning to stand up, panic on his face. Langa began to laugh.

"No your good! You happen to have a really good gaydar!" Langa laughed, causing Mark to have a sigh of relief and sit back down.

"That's such a lie, the amount of straight guys I've come on to is alarming. What about you? I'm sure you've had plenty of guys come on to you," Mark concluded, grinning. Langa shook his head.

"You might be the first one actually," Langa admitted. Mark's eyes grew wide once again.

"What?! No way! Your so handsome though! Your like the definition of a dream guy!" Mark yelled. Langa blushed more, feeling flattered.

"Well thanks. I mean, I guess I've had a lot of girls ask me out...but I guess I sort of rejected all of them," Langa admitted. Mark began to laugh.

"Dang, your a heartbreaker," Mark said.

"More like the one getting there heart broken," Langa muttered.

"What?" Asked Mark.

"Nothing," Langa told Mark, looking back out into the ocean.

"Well hey, you wanna play beach volleyball with me, my sister, and our friends? Even if you're not my soulmate, your still a real cute guy I just met and want to get to know," Mark admitted. Langa smiled. Mark was cute, he was fun. He wasn't Reki, but Langa was trying to move on anyway. Maybe this was his chance.