Slushies

Langa climbed into bed hesitantly. His heart beating a hundred beats per minute. Reki got in from the other side, and the both snuggled themselves into the covers. Turning their bodies to face each other.

"Are you feeling better now?" Reki asked hesitantly. Langa smiled and nodded, still not trusting himself to speak. Oh gosh he could could smell Reki, and it was the best scent in the world, and even though the room was dimly lit, he could still make out the color fragments of Reki's beautiful eyes.

"Can you believe that when I wake up I'll be able to see color?" Reki squealed. Langa smiled, a loving smile.

"That's really exciting," Langa whispered, "you know, if you want to stay up until 3:42 though, I'll stay up with you. It would be fun to find out on the exact time you were born."

Reki's eyes lit up.

"Wait seriously? You would do that for me? I would absolutely love that! Are you sure?" Reki whisper-yelled. Langa smiled again.

"Of course, I would do anything for you," said Langa, like it was the most obvious fact in the world. Reki grinned wildly.

"Okay, then let's do it! Let's stay up together!" Reki cheered sitting up again. He checked his phone screen.

"It's 11:30, only around 4 more hours to go!" Reki cheered. Langa sat up as well. Both boys leaned their heads against the bed frame.

"So what should we do until then? How do you want to spend your last hours of seventeen? Of no color?" Langa asked, turning towards Reki.

"Honestly, well I...well it's stupid," Reki sighed. Langa nudged him in the shoulder.

"No it's not, just tell me," Langa said.

"Well, I really want to skateboard," Reki confessed, looking into Langa's eyes with a grin. Langa smiled.

"Then come on, let's go," Langa said.

"Really!?" Reki cheered.

"Of course, come on let's go!" Langa cheered. At that, the two boys snuck out of the house and put into the night. Feeling the wind in their hair as they skated down the moonlight streets. The beach air fluttered their pajamas as they rode on.

"I'll race you to the closest has station!" Reki yelled after they had skated for a while.

"I don't know where the closest one is though!" Langa cried out.

"Awl too bad!" Reki cheered, taking off with high speed, Langa grinned, speeding up himself. It was a close one, but Reki beat Langa to a brightly lit Kenjo.

"You only won cause you got a head start," Langa pouted.

"Hey, that's never deterred you in the past," Reki argued, grinning. They both laughed as they stumbled into the gas station, headed right for the slushies.

      "Ooooh what flavor should I get?" Reki asked, as he scooped a cup into his hand. Langa grinned wildly, admiring all the different flavors.

       "Hmmm, well I'm gonna go with blueberry. It's my favorite," Langa decided, getting a cup as well.

       "Alright then, I trust you," Reki laughed, putting his finger on the blueberry nozzle. Reki admired the boy next to him, as Reki began to press down on the lever, causing the slushy liquid to fall into the cup, and then Reki gasped, dropping the cup.

       The slew scattered onto the floor and Langa looked at Reki concerned. Reki was staring intensely at the liquid on the floor.

      "What time is it?" He asked Langa, his breathing shallow. Langa quickly checked his phone.

      "Oh my gosh it's 3:42! ITS 3:42!!!" Langa yelled. The gas station attendant looked up at them confused, and tired. Langa began to shake Reki's shoulders.

      "HAPPY BIRTHDAY! WHAT DO YOU SEE?!" Langa demanded. Reki finally drew his eyes away from the spilled slushy, and looked up into Langa's eyes. They both gasped.

       All of a sudden, Langa could see Reki's hair color, and he saw that Reki's pajamas were red as well. He remembered the color from when he had seen all the colors of the rainbow, skating with Adam.

      "Langa...your eyes..." Reki stammered. Langa looked at Reki's face, expecting to only see the boy's amber eyes, but Langa was shocked. He could see red tones to Reki's face, he could see that...that Reki was blushing!

        "What?!" Langa asked, begging Reki to say he knew their color.

       "Their beautiful!" Reki gasped, holding tightly onto Langa's arms. Langa felt his whole face grow hot.

       "You can see blue?" Asked Langa, astounded. Reki gulped and nodded slowly.

      "I can see blue!" He repeated, almost a whisper. Then he began shaking Langa with joy.

       "I CAN SEE COLOR!!!! Blue! It's so beautiful! Oh my gosh! Color! It really is as glorious as I though!" Reki squealed twirling around, looking for anything blue.

       "Ah! There it is! There it is again! Blue!" Reki yelled, grabbing any objects closest to him, running around the gas station, trying to find as many blue things as he could. Langa watched with joy. He was so happy for Reki, and he was so happy that he still had a chance. After Reki had done his fare share of yelling, he came running back to Langa and stared in his eyes.

"Langa, it's not fair...how are you so pretty?" Asked Reki, and Langa realized that Reki's lips were just inches from his. He stole a quickly glance at them. They looked so soft. He quickly looked back into Reki's brown/amber eyes, staring into his.

"I told you Langa. If I got the color blue you had better expect me to start having plenty of staring contests with you, because I can't stop looking at your eyes. Their mesmerizing!" Reki cheered. At that, Reki raced back over to the slushy machine, leaving Langa feeling flustered. Reki began to fill up a cup with the blueberry slushy, giddily. He jumped up and down, as the liquid poured into the cup.

"BLUE! BLUE! BLUE!" Reki shouted. Langa watched in awe, then proceeded to make himself a slushy as well. Yet instead of choosing blueberry like he was originally going to, he chose cherry. Just to see for sure if the red color was just a figment of his imagination.

Sure enough, the red liquid looted into his cup. He could really see red! There was only one explanation...he was a step closer to finding his soulmate.

That's the way the soulmate colors worked, the closer you got to figuring out who your soulmate was, the more colors you would start to see. Langa wondered...why red? What sort of clue was that? Unless, it all almost made too much sense. Too much sense, too much hope.

The moment Langa had learned Reki could see blue, Langa had started to see red. That had to mean something, and Reki had always said he thought red would be his favorite color when he could see it. Heck it was Reki's hair color! Maybe it was too good to be true, but Langa felt like this clue had to do with Reki. Maybe...just maybe...Reki could be his soulmate.