Oblivious

Reki and Miya were next up in line, and Reki was gazing around the store, trying to catch another glance at Carly.

      "Wow! She was so nice, and her eyes were so blue!" Reki explained to Miya. Miya rolled his eyes.

     "So you think she's your soulmate or something?" Miya asked. Reki chuckled.

     "Of course not. I'm not gonna find my soulmate on the first day of seeing color! Unless I'm the luckiest man in the world!" Reki said. 

     "Well she clearly didn't seem to think that," Miya argued. Reki looked at Miya confused.

     "What do you mean?" Reki asked. Miya quirked an eyebrow.

      "What do you mean? It was obvious that she liked you! She was trying to ask you out! She thought you were her soulmate!" Miya explained, aggravated once again.

     "Really?!" Reki asked blushing.

      "Yes you idiot! How did you not get that! She kept smiling at you, and was talking about you guy's eye color! Heck, she was about to ask for your phone number! Reki, you have to be the most oblivious guy I know!" Miya yelled, shaking his head.

     "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm just not good with crushes or liking people! I never have been!" Reki claimed. Miya nodded.

     "No it's cool, I understand. Neither am I," Miya replied, causing Reki to smile. He shook his hand through Miya's hair. Miya smiled hesitantly.

       "So did you like her?" Miya asked, looking up. Reki's eyes grew wide.

     "Oh. I don't know," he admitted, scratching his neck.

      "You don't know?" Miya prodded, "She was way out of your league. Reki glared at the younger boy.

      "Oh shut up! Look, I don't know. She was nice, and pretty and all. Yes her eyes were blue, but I don't know. I didn't get any butterflies, or my heart didn't speed up. I didn't feel like she was the center of the universe," Reki explained. Miya looked at him confused.

      "Is that how it's supposed to work? I thought those feelings were more love," Miya questioned. Reki shrugged.

     "I have no clue, like I said...I'm terrible at feelings."

      "So, have you ever felt that way toward someone? Like the butterflies and all that?" Miya asked. Reki's ears tuned red, and his face heated up. Yes, yes he had. Towards Langa Hasegawa.

      "I don't know," Reki said. Miya gave him a skeptical look, but decided to let it go. Miya was just glad that Reki hadn't given Carly a second glance. Surely that had to mean something. Carly seemed like the type of girl that any straight man would fall for. That any woman would fall for, and Reki had simply shrugged her off. But then again, it could mean nothing at all...Reki was an idiot.

      As the cashier rung up their surfboards, Reki noticed a tiny blue skateboard figurine on sale next to the cashier. He smiled, it would look perfect with Langa's hair. It even looked a lot like the skateboard Reki had made Langa. He had to get it for him.

     "Can you throw this in too!" Reki asked, handing the miniature skateboard the the cashier. The old cashier looked up, and Reki noticed the cashier had blue eyes. Wow, it was so weird seeing color.

    "Sure," the cashier said, ringing it up.

      Riding back to the beach house tuned out to be futile. Turns out you can't really skateboard while holding a surfboard at the same time. So, since they walked...by the time Miya and Reki got back to the beach house they had completely missed breakfast.

     "How could you!?" Joe cried, as he microwaved their food.

     "Sorry Joe," they both said, then gobbled up the microwaved plates of breakfast.

     "Where's Langa?" Asked Reki, as he cleared his place.

     "He went down to the beach after breakfast," said Cherry, as he flipped though a book, and fanned himself.

     "Really? Well then we should go join him!" Yelled Reki, running to his room to get on his swim trunks, and before they knew it, they were all riding off to the beach. 

      Reki looked into the clear blue sky as he felt the beach air through his hair. He sighed, contently, taking it all in. 

      "Best birthday ever!" Reki cheered to the crew. They all smiled at the sunshine boy, thinking about how much they loved him.