5.

To say that Mike's walk out affected Faye was an understatement. When he returned, the pair talked it over and although they come to an understanding, Faye decided to spend the evening at her mom's place. She needed some space away from Mike for a few days, which he agreed on. The smoky aroma around Mike's apartment wouldn't help Faye with clearing her head, and it was clear to her that she still had feelings for Stone, despite the numerous times she denied it to Mike.

Monday came around swiftly and Faye got ready to leave for work. She grabbed her denim jacket and her mini backpack and opened the door. Faye looked down to see some flowers on the doorstep, a bouquet with yellow and orange Marigolds mixed together. Faye smiled and picked them up, bringing them to her nose to smell the delightful floral fragrance, and noticed a card on the side of the paper wrapping.

Faye

Sorry about how I acted

x

It had to be Mike after yesterday. Before she left for work, Faye went back inside and picked up the phone to call Mike.

The phone kept ringing until it went to the answer machine. Usually Mike was still in bed by this time, so he was probably still asleep.

"Hey babe, thanks for the flowers. They are beautiful. You honestly didn't have to. Anyway, I gotta get to work, but I'll call you later." Faye said, leaving a message.

She put the phone down and headed out to work.

**

Faye had been at work for around 3 hours, stacking the shelves and ringing through purchases. Her manager Phil had been there since 7 and had popped out for a bit, leaving the store in Faye's hands until he got back.

Around 11, the bell at the top of the door rang as another customer entered the store. Faye was currently up a ladder filling up some books in the Non Fiction section, when a man stood below and muttered "I like this view", looking up.

Faye was about to reply with a witty comeback, but when she looked at who it was, she quickly climbed back down the ladder and hugged him.

"Mike! What a nice surprise!" She smiled.

"Yeah well, I was in the neighbourhood..." He replied with a smirk.

"Oh really...were you? Not because you live round the corner?" Faye smiled into a kiss with Mike.

Faye giggled and noticed Mike was trying to be happy and upbeat but had to get something off his chest.

"Thank you for those flowers again...they were so pretty." Faye smiled, her arms hooked around the back of Mike's neck, looking into his tired but thoughtful eyes.

"Yeah that's the thing...I didn't send them. Although I wish I had now, seeing how much you light up at them." Mike replied, looking a little peeved.

Faye look confused at his revelation.

"Uh..What do you mean? If they aren't from you then who else are they from?" Faye asked.

"How should I know...maybe Stone?" Mike said a little frustrated. 

He pulled himself away from Faye, jealousy clearly getting the better of him.

Faye realised it had to be Stone. Not just because the flowers weren't from Mike, but because she remembered Stone asking her what her favourite flowers were when they were in high school, then receiving a similar bouquet but a smaller one the next day. Only what Stone could afford back then. "Oranges and Yellows, happiness follows." is what she said to him once.

"Flowers could just be a nice gesture...they aren't always romantic." Faye said. "So what if it is Stone?"

"Then he's playing a dangerous game...he knows you're seeing someone, why can't he back the fuck off?" Mike replied.