Identify: Part 1

It was an odd feeling to Markus, to find himself sick for once and feel the effects. He had stayed out way too long in that storm after going undercover and trying to go after the rebels. He coughed as he sat down against a rotten log, milk cap mushrooms like little shelves decorated it. Haus sat next to his owner and licked his cheek softly, despite how big the beast was he was merely a lap dog in all honesty.

Markus petted him gently before taking out his canteen and journal... a small letter falling out of it. He smiled at the thought of his pen pal, and dare I say, love. He kept every letter she ever sent him as if the words on the pages would bring them closer. It had been years since he had first met her, and yet he had never known that the one he loved most was his enemy... no, he no longer worked for the empire... he ran away, he doesn't care about them anymore.

Ever since he was four he was under Fernox's foot like some stool or livestock. Worthless and scorned, yet praised for his actions...actions he regretted.

He knew that the bullet did not hit his lover and to that he was grateful, yet for the first time in many years, he prayed to the goddess that the lad who was shot would make it and make a full recovery.

The goddess, he remembered him and his mother going to the temples far off in the mountains to take offerings and to meditate. However, since Fernox outlawed magic... worship was a crime and the punishment was death. A few years after his mother passed, Markus had tried many many times as a youth to pray and make some contact with his mother for guidance. He was humiliated as a result as he couldn't feel pain.

But now that he could feel, he wanted that comfort of the goddess... he wanted to remember his mother... the only person who loved him other than his forbidden lover.

He sat there and thought for hours, waiting for the sun to rise once more and feel the rays of the sun. That was probably the best thing he has felt, the warmth from the sun.

"Alright bud, let's keep going... we are too far north to go through the canyon... so we will just have to take the shortcut on the other side." He smiled as he stood up and went on his way as Haus followed close.

The two walked for a few hours but their trail was interrupted by a little odd creature who was gooping around, a small slime who just stopped and looked at the two.

"Hi, there...uh... do you know where the nearest rebellion base is?- oh Markus you've gone insane this time, talking to a slime...idiot." He grumbled to himself as Haus sniffed the cube and wagged his tail softly barking and hugging at it. The slime jumped around a bit before hopping over to Markus who sighed and looked down at it as it made odd sounds.

"You're weird... but I think I like you." He couldn't help but laugh a bit at the small glob. "You wanna join us bud?" He smiled down at it, only to get a soft coo-like sound before the slime started to hop off. Markus just laughed more as Haus chased it, and Markus followed.

Markus didn't care if they didn't make it to the rebellion base, he just wanted a life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rebellion was back on the move after the Harpies had joined them, it made look out a lot easier.

Luke was tagging alongside Grayson and Mia, just staying with the ones he knew best... of course that included Bell who would check in on him now and then but would go off to tend to someone. Luke loved that elf with every Artery, Vein, and Vessel in his body. Grayson had noticed and teased him regularly about it, Parker by his side always making a soft chirping sound that sounded like laughter. Which only added to Luke's suffering.

Parker remembered Luke and sadly at first he was afraid of him, it was Luke after all who was the last to speak with him and his mother when they were alive. But the little nightmare warmed up to him and counted him now as a friend. Luke had even started to teach the child to sign so communication between him and the others would be more accessible.